Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney Shows

[ Edited ]

@ocookie wrote:
What is with the hosts now describing the bags as “she”? It made me laugh out loud! Also using words like delicious, yummy, etc. to describe clothing, accessories, and non-food items. I don’t get it.

In my opinion, The hosts lose credibility when they use words that do not match the high end, higer priced items they are selling. Its hard to justify the purchase of a $250 handbag that is being described in the same manor as someone would use to describe a $25 steak!

@ocookie  I completely agree. It sounds idiotic and makes them look foolish and like they're trying too hard to be cute, which, of course, some of them often are...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney Shows

[ Edited ]

It’s part of qvc’s lack of smarts, to be blunt. The Dooney example that you cite is one reason why I say that qvc runs brands into the ground, not only through over-exposure but by not showing their best. It’s sad. I cannot believe that qvc doesn’t have qualified execs who understand that their attempt to hit a low price point and to show a designer’s or a manufacturer’s most bland, middle-of-the-road products is bad for the vendor, the customer, and ultimately for qvc itself. I used to look forward to watching Dooney shows on qvc, but that was years ago when the q showed top quality Dooney bags that couldn't help but grab my eye (and pocketbook). I still buy Dooneys sometimes but on their website. 

Adding, fyi, that hubby just bought me the Dooney Toscana messenger, which I love. Why can’t qvc show some of such good stuff?

Honored Contributor

Its glaringly obvious that bags under $200.00 are the best sellers, mainly crossbodies.  That's fine with me, but many don't care for that style.  Where QVC excels is the color range.  Go to my local department store and you will find brown and black, same with shoes.  I like the fact that they are structuring the price range to get rid of certain colors.  A lower price just might induce me to buy something I normally wouldn't consider, like a light pastel.

Regular Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Big Dooney fan here.  I often check the D&B and ILoveDooney websites, and I have to say, Dooney itself is in rut.   Same shapes over and over again, just in different leathers and colors.  QVC can't sell what Dooney doesn't make.

I used to love Dooney, and bought a lot, but everything is so boring now. They used to have fun novelty designs but there's been nothing like that in years so I stopped watching (and buying). 

Football is my favorite season.
Valued Contributor
They do show the same bags over and over. This new Camden collection the Q has sold out in many colors the first time they presented. People were probably hungry for something different!

I love dooney is having a great sale right now. I just picked one up for 20% off. Plus their shipping is always free.
Honored Contributor

Dooney’s the “cash cow” of bags for the Q. Other lines tried to compete and fell by the wayside. Gili bags are selling for less than 50% off and still no one is purchasing some styles. Vince Cumuto is newest in the leather category and the vote is still out. The number of those shows are minimal compared to D&B.

I DVR and watch or not my Q shows, so please no unnecessary comments about reading a book, changing the channel or taking a walk. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Its glaringly obvious that bags under $200.00 are the best sellers, mainly crossbodies.  That's fine with me, but many don't care for that style.  Where QVC excels is the color range.  Go to my local department store and you will find brown and black, same with shoes.  I like the fact that they are structuring the price range to get rid of certain colors.  A lower price just might induce me to buy something I normally wouldn't consider, like a light pastel.

Bingo. Historically, QVC has offered a wide array of colors but even that seems to be more limited and increasingly to only a finite set of bags... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Probably because based on sales statistics and hundreds of thousands of dollars of anyalysis, they know what customers want and will buy.  So, the proven sellers get the most air time.  

Respected Contributor

They've changed their strategy. I think they get to sell so many of a particular style. They probably don't sell as many $450 bags as $250.  Think about this: there are a lot of women who "rent" the bags.  This is something people have commented about many times on many threads.

Who is going spend full price on a $400 bag that someone else has used? I'm not saying that people do it intentionally. It happens a lot.

Q has slim margins. So they're not going to bring in a lot of them.From time to time, buyers do leave. So it's quite possible that they have different buyers with different tastes, different targets. D&B has been at Q a very long time and in that time, they've evolved and developed their own strategies. When have you ever seen an Alto on the Q.  You have the tried and true, but then sometimes they bring out the 'special lethers and styles." for the Q exclusives. They don't want to cannibalize their web site, so they're going to keep "the good stuff."

The Toscana messanger sounds lovely, btw.