Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dooney Is...............

@Katcat1

I would agree that the prices you quote are out of my comfort zone.  But, it seems this brand is wildly popular.

While my favorite handbag is a copper Brahmin Copa Cabana I bought years ago, I recently bought a D&B Ruby bag in their funny Ambrosia print on black.

The Ruby bag is small, and the print looks perfect on it.  I bought it at I Love Dooney and it was pretty cheap by D&B standards.

I would never have paid the full price for it, but I have enjoyed carrying it for the summer.  

And, it's not leather, but seems to be well made and sturdy.  I wanted a lighter, smaller bag and this one works for me!

Honored Contributor

Dooney and others have become, by some, a sign of status....”I’ve worked hard and purchased this for myself. I can afford it”. 

Recognizable name on bags & clothing have been a symbol of success for quite awhile. Parents purchase these items for their children, too. It got to the point where “THE sneakers” or jackets were being stollen at school by those children who could not afford them. This led to school uniforms in many areas. 

There are many knockoffs of my LV bags on illegal sites. They are carried by hundreds of women now and the thrill has been somewhat diluted. 

Such is the 90’s mindset and although some of the millennials have resisted, the tendency to display Ralph Laren polo ponies has continued. 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I do think .Dooney needs an infusion of design inspiration, but the prices are fine. My first Dooney in 1980 or so cost $240--pricey then but not now. Many Dooneys today remain in that range. Of my current faves, I still love my Florentine Barlow side zip bags, which were a bargain at $500, my $368 Emerson satchel, and the Italian-made Dooney Montecatini bags (around $600) which I have in black and chestnut. Those are mid-range prices in the handbag world. 

@libbyannE  I used to object to the tan trim on the bags. I thought it made them look too similar, recognizable and too sporty. Many of Dooney designs now do not have the brown trim and the Dooney name plate is smaller or stamped into the bag.

Honored Contributor

Oryany bags and GILI bags are mostly shown now on clearance. They weren’t considered “status” bags w/ a fairly recognizable name, but the price point was similar to Dooney. The quality also just was not there.

An Oryany bag was on Shawn Says Accessorize...original price $389.00...more than most D&B bags & not the same quality. It was presented in all the original colors, still available, on clearance for $272.00. Chances are it will be reduced a few more times to deplete the inventory.

Honored Contributor

@BARBIE100 wrote:

Dooney is getting way too pricey for what it is.

can say this for many things

as with most items depends on where a person wants to spend their money

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@grandma r wrote:

I started purchasing this brand when they first came out.  The prices have exploded over the past few years.  Yes, the Italian nylon is indestructible!!!!  But, the bags that I have were at a reasonable price.  Some of them are decades old and look like new.  I do love the quality, but, the prices are just too much.  Coated cotton bags, regardless of brand, and nylon bags, regardless of brand, should just not be priced that high.

@grandma r  I promise I’m not a Dooney rep or receive a kickback. Purchase price, affordablity and the willingness to pay is up to the individual.

I think LOGO is overpriced & do not purchase from that line while others do. To each her own. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Dooney and others have become, by some, a sign of status....”I’ve worked hard and purchased this for myself. I can afford it”. 

IMO  I don't think a DB bag is a sign of status,  

LV, Hermes  they are sign that you can afford $1000+ to spend on a handbag not same as status  

Respected Contributor

At one time I couldn't pass up a D & B presentation.  Now I avoid them.  The designs are so ho-hum.  Need some innovative styles.  Plus, refuse to pay what they're charging for them.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

IMO  I don't think a DB bag is a sign of status,  

LV, Hermes  they are sign that you can afford $1000+ to spend on a handbag not same as status  

@jackthebear  I would assume there are different levels of status according to income. Not everyone can be on a waitlist for a Birkin bag.

Valued Contributor

My newest passion. I was in the D&B Outlet in Rehoboth on Monday and found some great deals....satchel with 2 zip compartments on the front for $99 (sells for $248 on the Dooney site), matching double wallet for a song. 

I started with a French Blue zip zip, then a yellow zip zip, then a cranberry small lexington, then a purple pouchette, then the satchel and today ordered the key lime crossbody from the Dooney site (for $99 and free shipping). It is $156 on QVC right now. Hmmmm........

So, I would say Dooney is something I really love.