Honored Contributor

Re: Dooney Is...............

[ Edited ]

@nyc1 wrote:

My Dooney bags have held up and wear like iron.   Some of the bags may be priced higer than we'd like but "value" is such an individual thing.  I would rather pay a little more for a well made, beautiful leather bag, that I enjoy using and suits my needs.   I love the look and feel of a quality bag.   The name of the bag doesn't pull me in, the quality does.   Sometimes the two go hand in hand.

I buy stuff at all brands and prices, I have a 9$ bag I got at TJ m and a Chanel and everything in between .  I buy what I like 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@nyc1 wrote:

My Dooney bags have held up and wear like iron.   Some of the bags may be priced higer than we'd like but "value" is such an individual thing.  I would rather pay a little more for a well made, beautiful leather bag, that I enjoy using and suits my needs.   I love the look and feel of a quality bag.   The name of the bag doesn't pull me in, the quality does.   Sometimes the two go hand in hand.

I buy stuff at all brands and prices, I have a 9$ bag I got at TJ m and a Chanel and everything in between .  I buy what I like 

Me too...   as long as the bag works for you and is the quality you're looking for, then I say go for it.  There is no one recipe for everyone.

Trusted Contributor

Dooney is getting way too pricey for what it is.

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

I do think that some Dooneys are over priced, but I also think that some are quite reasonably priced for the quality. 

Super Contributor

My favorite handbag because of how well made and beautiful they are.  That being said.....I have sold over half of my heavy leather Dooney bags as I just plain got tired of lugging them around.  I now look forward to seeing what Dooney offers in their nylon and coated cotton bags.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They're nice bags but in general, over-priced, over-weight and over-exposed... Another brand QVC has run into the ground...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

I started purchasing this brand when they first came out.  The prices have exploded over the past few years.  Yes, the Italian nylon is indestructible!!!!  But, the bags that I have were at a reasonable price.  Some of them are decades old and look like new.  I do love the quality, but, the prices are just too much.  Coated cotton bags, regardless of brand, and nylon bags, regardless of brand, should just not be priced that high.

I absolutely agree. I like coated cotton or canvas and can tolerate some nylon... I have a few Dooney coated bags and some of them I overpaid for, while the others I made sure to get at a good sale price... I have a nice looking Ralph Lauren nylon bag trimmed in leather. I paid $89 for it and that would be about my limit for nylon... Even that's probably too much but I'm surely not spending hundreds of dollars for it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

looney with their prices.  A nylon bag for $293.  Also a crossbody that looks like a wallet is on special for $139 from $169.  Are you serious?  Women are buying but not me.  Cat LOL

People aren't paying for nylon or a bag, they're paying for the Dooney name. If you don't want to, don't buy it. But please don't act surprised or like paying more for a designer name is something new. A Birkin Bag isn't made of gold, but easily sells for upwards of $20,000. A canvas Louis Vuitton Neverfull bag goes for $1.320. Dooney charges prices in line with their brand, as do all designers.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Goodness--don't like the price don't buy it now or ever.  If you like the bag wait for it to go on sale at Dooney or at I Love Dooney.  Or at one of the department stores.  Nobody is held hostage to QVC. And as far as the small bags--I only carry the essentials around town now and like something small.  I have one of the squares and another in the rectangle patent Janine crossbody.  Purchased both on sale at Dooney.  

Honored Contributor

I've never been a fan of what I consider overpriced D&B purses anyway. But I saw a cute hydrangea print one I really liked and looked closer - it was $178 on CLEARANCE and it was VINYL. What!?! Originally it was $228. People really would pay that for a vinyl purse? SMH. Paying for a name - not value for the money.