Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney Hobo Logo: Reason Only the Colors Change

I got one in dark gray around Christmas time.  While I don't find it too big, it was definately too heavy for me.  I took it out one day while shopping and my shoulder was aching when I got home that night!  I didn't have much in it either.  I kept it but will just use it for occasions when I won't have to carry it around much!

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

They were flat out stupid not to carry the Roma II going foward.  To me, it's the one potentially iconic Gili bag they've offered and I think that with seasonal choices of color and texture this could have been a popular bag for them for years to come.  I honestly don't get why they've essentially discontinued this bag.

I love my Roma 2's so much that it's a struggle to transition to a different inner organization when I change handbags, especially when they don't properly perform the Roma 2 bag slouch.

{I have the cream snake, natural ostrich, blush, black, and the earlier models in orange and aubergine. Stocked up for the impending GILI drought.}

I have the medium (precursor to the II) in brown-black snake and natural ostrich and the II in white ostrich, orange and espresso, as well as the original large Roma in white ostrich...  I'll eventually sell the large.  It's just too big, but I love all the others.  The brown-black snake is probably my favorite.  They sort of replicated it with a lizard of some sort but the original was prettier.

@stevieb

About your Roma II brown/black snake, I found two on eBay. They don't come up often (one used, one new). How is the leather, after use? Softer? Do you love it?

$_57.JPG

Honored Contributor

The brown-black snake was one of those that was sort of soft and supple from the get-go and over time has become just a bit more so.  I normally prefer a bit more structure, but I really love this bag.  It's beautiful and sometimes form really does trump function...  not to say that it doesn't work well, because it does, although one common complaint about the 'medium' Gili, was that the inside pockets weren't deep enough, which is true.  Again though, it's such a 'looker' you overlook its flaws...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I "Only" have 2 of the Roma II's, but, They are great!

Frustrating, when you find something you love, and it's no more!
Frequent Contributor

I would love to see the logo lock bag in a smaller size.   I cannot carry a large bag and think this would look good if it were smaller to accommodate all the petite ladies.

Esteemed Contributor

@Deeze wrote:

I would love to see the logo lock bag in a smaller size.   I cannot carry a large bag and think this would look good if it were smaller to accommodate all the petite ladies.

I am petite (plus have shoulder issues) and always go with the small Lexington shopper.  I hang around ILoveDooney or Macys until colors go on sale. Currently have the lavender (surprisingly neutral) and the "desert" color is in transit. A lot of my bigger Dooneys had to go to the consignment store due to bulk/weight.

Next I want a bordeaux. This bag is featured in a wide array of colors also.  Lightweight and versatile.  By best deal was $114 plus free shipping (Macys).  Current bag is on the official Dooney site for $129 for the late summer sale. Been carrying Dooney since the early 1990's. 

Product image is missing!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deeze wrote:

It's only about 12 inches across the bottom. It's really not that big. I posted a picture measuring mine in another thread. My problem with it is it doesn't stay on my shoulder it slips off regularly. I think the top strap is just too wide for my shoulder. I don't have that problem at all with narrow rolled shoulder straps like on the Oryany Danielle. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@JaxMom   I have 12 of these bags.  I find depending on the fabric I am weearing,  mine also slid off.   purchased Gummy straps fom Amazon.  They will not ruin your leather and work really  well,  I love them. 

Respected Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

They were flat out stupid not to carry the Roma II going foward.  To me, it's the one potentially iconic Gili bag they've offered and I think that with seasonal choices of color and texture this could have been a popular bag for them for years to come.  I honestly don't get why they've essentially discontinued this bag.

I love my Roma 2's so much that it's a struggle to transition to a different inner organization when I change handbags, especially when they don't properly perform the Roma 2 bag slouch.

{I have the cream snake, natural ostrich, blush, black, and the earlier models in orange and aubergine. Stocked up for the impending GILI drought.}

I have the medium (precursor to the II) in brown-black snake and natural ostrich and the II in white ostrich, orange and espresso, as well as the original large Roma in white ostrich...  I'll eventually sell the large.  It's just too big, but I love all the others.  The brown-black snake is probably my favorite.  They sort of replicated it with a lizard of some sort but the original was prettier.

@stevieb

About your Roma II brown/black snake, I found two on eBay. They don't come up often (one used, one new). How is the leather, after use? Softer? Do you love it?

$_57.JPG

@1Professor @stevieb This past year I have purchased

several on eBay. I was able to get a new R2 Brown/Black

Snake and it's one of my favorites. Just be sure to check

for cracking around the gold rings. Mind had the

beginnings of a few very small cracks. I repaired them

before they got worse. 

I don't have Cream Snake but wouldn't the Brown/Black

and Cream Snake feel the same ?

My R2 collection now includes Black/Brown Snake,

Espresso Lizard, Black, Natural Ostrich and Ivory Ostrich. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb

$_57.JPG

@1Professor @stevieb This past year I have purchased

several on eBay. I was able to get a new R2 Brown/Black

Snake and it's one of my favorites. Just be sure to check

for cracking around the gold rings. Mind had the

beginnings of a few very small cracks. I repaired them

before they got worse. 

I don't have Cream Snake but wouldn't the Brown/Black

and Cream Snake feel the same ?

My R2 collection now includes Black/Brown Snake,

Espresso Lizard, Black, Natural Ostrich and Ivory Ostrich. 

@MorningLover Gosh, I wish I could tell you, but I never had the Cream so can't really say. I'd guess they'd be very similar, but can't say for certain.

You've got some good choices. I always wished I'd got the Espresso Lizard and the Black, but never did land them. Earlier I said the Brown/Black Snake is probably my favorite, and it probably is... but the Ivory Ostrich is also definitely in the running...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...