Respected Contributor

Dooney Hobo Logo: Reason Only the Colors Change

Love the zen simplicity of this bag (and its ample size): I have ivy, grape, orange.

As a marketing/persuaion researcher, when I found out that the Q makes retailers agree to take back all returns (!), I realized that Dooney has a success of over 200,000 of the hobo logo (and counting) because the shape never changes, only the colors. 

Other bags get retired, put on clearance, not the hobo logo (in spite of requests to make it smaller, give it an outside pocket). Marketing consumer research consistently finds that when a consumer really likes an object, she/he wants more of it. 

images.jpeg images-1.jpeg  images-2.jpeg  images-4.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Dooney Hobo Logo: Reason Only the Colors Change

Also probably explains why we often WANT another handbag just like a favorite (and some of us collect many of the exact same bag).

Why GILI Roma 2 fans are frustrated that the Q gave up on it. Many have all of them and it still doesn't feel like enough.

gilitote.jpg

Respected Contributor

I saw my first Logo Hobo in real life the other day -- some lady had it, and I recognized it immediately.  It confirmed what I always thought -- it is just too big for me.  Love the bag otherwise, though.  I'd love to know how many colors it has ever come in.   Mind boggling all the colors.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They were flat out stupid not to carry the Roma II going foward.  To me, it's the one potentially iconic Gili bag they've offered and I think that with seasonal choices of color and texture this could have been a popular bag for them for years to come.  I honestly don't get why they've essentially discontinued this bag.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

They were flat out stupid not to carry the Roma II going foward.  To me, it's the one potentially iconic Gili bag they've offered and I think that with seasonal choices of color and texture this could have been a popular bag for them for ears to come.  I honestly don't get why they've essentially discontinued this bag.

It seems to be the most loved in the Gili line. I am waiting on one that I just ordered this week that  was an "as is" in the blush. If they offered it again at a reasonable price point I think it would sell like hot cakes.

Has the Q stated it is discontinued? I know I would be first in line to get another one if they brought it back.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

They were flat out stupid not to carry the Roma II going foward.  To me, it's the one potentially iconic Gili bag they've offered and I think that with seasonal choices of color and texture this could have been a popular bag for them for years to come.  I honestly don't get why they've essentially discontinued this bag.

I love my Roma 2's so much that it's a struggle to transition to a different inner organization when I change handbags, especially when they don't properly perform the Roma 2 bag slouch.

{I have the cream snake, natural ostrich, blush, black, and the earlier models in orange and aubergine. Stocked up for the impending GILI drought.}

Honored Contributor

@SunnyRose wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

They were flat out stupid not to carry the Roma II going foward.  To me, it's the one potentially iconic Gili bag they've offered and I think that with seasonal choices of color and texture this could have been a popular bag for them for ears to come.  I honestly don't get why they've essentially discontinued this bag.

It seems to be the most loved in the Gili line. I am waiting on one that I just ordered this week that  was an "as is" in the blush. If they offered it again at a reasonable price point I think it would sell like hot cakes.

Has the Q stated it is discontinued? I know I would be first in line to get another one if they brought it back.

That's a good question. It would be nice if it was made clear if that was the case. Gili Jill did say on air that they were "changing silhouettes" but it was during the stirrup hobo presentation and no elaboration. I hope there's still a future for the Romas, both Roma 2 and the original large Roma, too.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

Also probably explains why we often WANT another handbag just like a favorite (and some of us collect many of the exact same bag).

Why GILI Roma 2 fans are frustrated that the Q gave up on it. Many have all of them and it still doesn't feel like enough.

gilitote.jpg

Is this your collection of original Romas with red and snake in background? Heart Lucky you!

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I love my Roma 2's so much that it's a struggle to transition to a different inner organization when I change handbags, especially when they don't properly perform the Roma 2 bag slouch.

{I have the cream snake, natural ostrich, blush, black, and the earlier models in orange and aubergine. Stocked up for the impending GILI drought.}

I have the medium (precursor to the II) in brown-black snake and natural ostrich and the II in white ostrich, orange and espresso, as well as the original large Roma in white ostrich...  I'll eventually sell the large.  It's just too big, but I love all the others.  The brown-black snake is probably my favorite.  They sort of replicated it with a lizard of some sort but the original was prettier.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
New Contributor

Me too! And I usually like a big bag but not this one.