Respected Contributor

Re: Done buying Dooney bags, now which line to try?

@phoenixbrd

Thank you for your kind response!  

Valued Contributor

Gunas New York. Beautiful line and quality. They are cruelty free as well. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Esteemed Contributor

Frye, Brighton, Brahmin, Radley London.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic My thinking is you probably won't go wrong with any of the 'name' brands... many of which have been mentioned here. I'd add Cole Haan, Furla, Ralph Lauren, Marc Jacobs, Minkoff, Liebeskind, Kors and on and on and on to the brands already suggested... I'm not much of a brand 'loyalist' and hence my suggestion to see what looks good and appeals to you... Of course, the longevity of the bag almost always depends on the individual bag we get home, since quality is always variable, even among otherwise good brands. I've also had very good luck with unfamiliarly named Italian brands often offered at the TJ Maxx stores... Good luck with your quest...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

I have a lot of Dooney bags too and wanted some variety.  I went from Dooney to Fossil, which I love.  And now I seem to be attracted to Frye bags.  The Frye bags remind me of the Dooney bags because of the weight of the leather.  I do think the Fry handbags are a higher quality, but that is just my opinion.  

There is always room in my heart for a new handbag!

Respected Contributor

I've come across GiGi New York.  They are makers of all types of leather goods, including handbags.

They have some very simple designs. I'm sorry that I can't provide the link,because of the mods. They used to be carried in a lot of retailers, but now they sell primarily online. (They were a casualty of The Great Recession.)

I once tried Pietro Alessandro, which are made in New York. I found that the smell of the dye was strong. I loved the bag, but the "fake" croco scales came off, leaving the bag a little bald. I tossed that one. That was a made-for-shopnbc bag, and I don't know if that had anything to do with the quality. Perhaps their other offerings are OK?

If you have a TJ Maxx near you, you might pick up a great bag.  Sometimes I see some great bags. For some reason, they're big on Italian type styles. 

Good luck! There's nothing like discovering a new line that you like!

Esteemed Contributor

I have to ask this question.  It is not meant to be disrespectful but what is the difference between a $300-$400 bag and one I buy for less than $50.  I travel, I go places, and none of my collection have ever been a problem and most have lasted forever.  I buy by color if I need to match something or not.  

Respected Contributor

At the most basic level, both do the same thing.

We're all so different here; we like different things. We have different levels of income. Some women love really nice handbags. Some love cars. Some collect china or spend tons of $$ on children/grandchildren. On pets. On lawns. 

We also have the liberty to make choices. There is no right or wrong answer to that question of which bag is better.

Valued Contributor

Radley London

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@this is my nic Perhaps take a look at the Henri Bendel, MZ Wallace and Radley London websites to see if you find styles you like. I was into Dooneys and then Henri Bendel and for the past couple of years my favorite handbag brand is MZ Wallace. If you're interested, you can sign up for MZW emails. They also just came out with several new items. Fun to look! Woman Happy

Edited to add that Henri Bendel is closing its stores and website in January 2019! They will become collector's items. Sad to see a classic handbag brand go down. Here's the article: Message 6949 (in the Bag Dames thread).