Respected Contributor

Does anyone know what happened to Barr + Barr handbags?

i took a leap out of my little Dooney, ghurka and sometimes coach world a handful of years ago and bought two Barr +Barr florentine hobo bags, which I have loved. I threw on the turquoise leather bag with luggage trim yesterday and wondered where that brand went. Do any if you know or own any of that brand? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone know what happened to Barr + Barr handbags?

I bought about 5 between  4-6 years ago.  Various colors, all shoulder bags.  They still look like new and were used often before I retired.  Now they are in rotation with my other favorites.  I think k I got them on HSN.  Last I knew they were located in NYC and sold there.  I have not been to the city in some time.  I liked the quality of their leather and the organization.  I look for pockets on outside for cell and keys and organization inside.  My latest purchases have been Dooney, oRANY and Aimee K.  Don't need any more but........

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

It looks like you have to subscibe to their (Barr + Barr) website's newletter and the bags are very pricey now.  I had 2 from HSN which I gifted.  There is one nice tote over at eBay.  

NEW BARR AND BARR LARGE DESIGNER TOTE HANDBAG,A GRADE LEATHER SATCHEL/SHOULDER

Honored Contributor

I wonder what happened to American West bags at Evine?  One day they were mostly selling out they were so popular, and the next they were gone.  Completely disappeared.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I think Barr and Barr were unable to produce their bags at a certain quality for HSN and they left. At a certain point, one wants to save the integrity of their brand. Dooney doesn't have that problem, because they produce certain lines for certain retailers. Of course, Dooney isn't really "high-end." Barrr and Barr were a little different.

Handbag lines resort to shopping channels when they are just launching (Jack London) or are trying to resuscitate a dying line (Coach on Q a long time ago and Ghurka on shopnbc/HQ. And don't forget about Bruce on the Q. So if they disappear all of s sudden, don't be surprised.

Respected Contributor

@hicindy2 wrote:

It looks like you have to subscibe to the newletter and the bags are very pricey now.  I had 2 from HSN which I gifted.  There is one nice tote over at eBay.  

NEW BARR AND BARR LARGE DESIGNER TOTE HANDBAG,A GRADE LEATHER SATCHEL/SHOULDER

They were priced about like dooneys. I think the ones I have were in the $300? Hard to recall.. I don't know what newsletter you mean. I assume that the bags just did not sell well because they were not in hsn for long. It is about the only thing I ever bought from hsn. 

Honored Contributor

I have two that I bought in New York many years ago.  One red and one in a medium blue.  They both still look great and are still in use.  

Trusted Contributor

I loved Barr + Barr. I still have several of their bags. Great quality.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Frequent Contributor

I love Patricia Nash handbags!