Valued Contributor

Does anyone have a natural florentine leather Dooney bag.

I am contemplating buying the natural florentine Buckley bag. I have it in the black and the chestnut, but I'm wanting it in natural, but afraid it will be hard to take care of, any comments would be appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a natural florentine leather Dooney bag.

I have the natural and I don't like it.  Stains very easily and can't be cleaned....according to my call to Dooney.  It accidentally came into contact with a pen, and now I have a permanent pen streak across the side.

I've never had issues with any other leather bags I've owned.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@ambassador wrote:

I am contemplating buying the natural florentine Buckley bag. I have it in the black and the chestnut, but I'm wanting it in natural, but afraid it will be hard to take care of, any comments would be appreciated.

@QuinnPenny I bought an "as is" Buckley in natural. It came with some light-colored "rings" so at first I didn't think I'd like it. But then I started using it and got so many compliments. I just love the color in this style. So I kept it. It's a bag that will probably show some wear at first, but then it disappears with use and adds patina. I would go for "as is" if you have the option. I used a plain microfiber cloth with nothing on it to "shine" it up and haven't really had any major marks since.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for the info about the natural color. 

Respected Contributor

I think it depends on your taste. I love aged, worn, high-quality leather, which signals quality. Pebble leathers are fine, and I own many, but you cannot get the same sumptuous quality and beautifully aged (saddle-like) look with pebble leathers. I own natural florentine, chestnut florentine, and related Toledo leather bags, among other Dooney faves. florentine does show marks, some of which I can rub on and sort of erase--similar to the former quality of coach bags when they still used leather of that quality instead of the thinner stuff, which coach seems to do a lot of nowadays.. I DO use my equestrian leather treatment on florentine bags as soon as I receive them, and, while I am careful with all bags, I have not had a problem. If you don't want any marks or wear to show, Dooney and other bag makers offer cheaper embossed and pebble leathers. It's all good. just depends on what you're looking for. 

Honored Contributor

I do have a natural in the Florentine shearling saddle bag and I have mustard which is slighter darker and warmer than natural in the largest Florentine satchel. I haven't had problems with stains. I'm pretty careful with my bags and I rotate a lot though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Thanks Jaxs mom, I appreciate you getting back to me about the florentine. I'm careful too, so maybe it will be fine. I only have Florentines in black, chestnut, and red, and would like the natural. Thanks for your input.