Contributor

Do you own this handbag? Dooney & Bourke large Brenna satchel.

http://www.qvc.com/Dooney-&-Bourke-Florentine-Leather-Large-Zip-Barlow-Satchel.product.A272205.html?...

Would like your opinion on this bag, if you own it.  Thinking about purchasing one in the 'Natural' color.  Pricey, so have to get opinions on it.

Contributor

Re: Do you own this handbag? Dooney & Bourke large Brenna satchel.

My mistake.............this is the 'Barlow', not the Brenna, as I stated in my original post.

Respected Contributor

I own 2 florentine Barlow side zip bags and and several Brennas. I have loved the look and the function of those undulating front pockets on each. No more fiddling when I need the phone, lip gloss, or need to switch readers for sunglasses. I wish I knew what your question concerns so I could address it. I probably carry my Brennas more because they are a slight bit smaller, and I like having both handles and straps. If I'm grabbing for something in the grocery store, I throw the Brenna over my shoulder so I am hands-free yet the purse is secure on my body. The Brennas are pebble leather, while the Barlows are crafted in more luxurious florentine, which I adore. Florentine will show some marks over time, like a good saddle or riding boots will, but I like that. If you do not like leather to show wear, stick with pebble grain pieces. My only complaint about my Barlows is the odd, to me, length of the handles, which is another reason I don't carry them as often as other bags; the Barlow handles are too long to really be a satchel yet too short to comfortably go over my shoulder. i have the Barlow in red and in chestnut and am glad I bought them.

Contributor

Thank you very much for your response.  I appreciate it!  Considering the price of the handbag, I wanted to see what others thought of it.

Honored Contributor

Sorry I don't own that one. I have some other Dooney's, including some in the Florentine leather. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I don't own this Dooney. But my feeling is, at approximately $500 when you add on the shipping and tax, and with a weight of 3 1/4 pounds, you need to really love it. If you do, then go for it!

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

I live in town with a D&B outlet store. I went to look at this bag and was so surprised at its size and weight. It is very large and heavy. (add stuff and it would be really heavy.)

I am a tall person and actually like large bags but this one is sooo big that I left thinking I might end up with the smaller Barlow. (there a number of different versions of the Barlow and sizes). 

I wish they made a medium size Barlow with the side zips. 

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

I don't own this Dooney. But my feeling is, at approximately $500 when you add on the shipping and tax, and with a weight of 3 1/4 pounds, you need to really love it. If you do, then go for it!

Bingo!!!  I have the Brenna and after you fill it up you need a forklift to get it on your shoulder.  I love the Brenna bag, but I hardly use it anymore because of the weight.  Not worth the money spent.  That's why I didn't purchase the Barlow because of the weight and the price is ridiculous. 

Respected Contributor

@Rlh wrote:

Thank you very much for your response.  I appreciate it!  Considering the price of the handbag, I wanted to see what others thought of it.

You're welcome. The Barlow is a good buy at $458 if you compare it to other bags of that quality. New Dooney florentines on their site can run $100 more. After I bought mine, I saw some sales on the Barlow  for $299, so Google around. If you like thick heavy leather, it's great. If you want something similar but lighter and a bit smaller, go for the Brenna, in my opinion.

Regular Contributor

@Rlh wrote:

http://www.qvc.com/Dooney-&-Bourke-Florentine-Leather-Large-Zip-Barlow-Satchel.product.A272205.html?...

Would like your opinion on this bag, if you own it.  Thinking about purchasing one in the 'Natural' color.  Pricey, so have to get opinions on it.

SShhhh -- don't tell my husband, but I have several of this bag, all bought in the "as-is" section of QVC's clearance.  I love this bag! The as-is bags are, I think, $299, and the in-stock colors change daily, it seems.   I'm currently using the natural one and love it.