Honored Contributor

Re: Do you buy a purse more for looks or more for function?

Both equally.  If it functions well but is ugly I'm certainly not going to use it!...waste of money!

On the other hand if it only looks good but doesn't work well for me I won't use that either.

Honored Contributor

Both.

Absolutely.

Honored Contributor

I don't consider a bag/purse to be a fashion accessory for me.  It just has to be huge with a sturdy strap and no crossbody.   No gawdy prints - just a solid neutral color.   I rarely carry a purse.  If I go to a store I just put my wallet in my pocket.  When I worked I took one to work each day to hold all my essentials or whatever I could possibly need.  

Respected Contributor

The first thing is weight, if it's getting close to a pound, it's out of the running.  If it passes the  being lightweight test, I go to function and then looks.  I'm not much into purses.  I buy most, if not all of my bags on zappos, which tells the weight of each bag.

Trusted Contributor

@Soonerwrote:

With me it varies.  I never carry much stuff around with me, so I don't need a bunch of pockets and pouches.  Unless it's an evening bag, it has to be big enough for my sunglasses.  That's a must have for a daytime bag.

I agree, I have to have my sunglasses,  I wear them even when it's pouring rain outside.

VERY sensitive to sun/light and when the sun is on the snow....I would leave my cell phone home but never my sunglasses!!!

Honored Contributor

I really don't need a whole of function these days. I simply don't have that much to carry.

I am not a fan of so much "organization" as I am of the style and proportion.

Utilitarian is something that does now wow me or give me pleasure to carry.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

It has to be both ... look good and accommodate my needs.

Obviously, I'll be attracted by how it looks, but no matter how great it looks, if it doesn't "work" for me ... I'm not buying it.

Esteemed Contributor

I buy light weight.  I buy for function and the lowest price possible.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm Goldilocks. Look for every day handbag that's just right. Stylish, functional, usually on sale, and not too heavy. I have a few dressier bags that are small and stylish. Favorite is crossbody.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

The purse has to look good, but it needs to have function and a security zipper at the entrance of the bag. I would not spend a couple hundred bucks on a leather bag that didn't have a zipper. My tote bags from D&B even have zipper closures. Although the tote I inherited from my MIL does not have a zipper closure and I still like it. I think it's at least 25 years old and looks almost new.