Honored Contributor

Do you buy a purse more for looks or more for function?

For me it's function first, then weight and finally looks. Except dress bags - then it's looks first and only.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you buy a purse more for looks or more for function?

It had better have both, or I keep looking till I find the right one.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

Function first, but then again I wouldn't carry a bag I didn't like the looks of.

Honored Contributor

Both.  I can't separate the two.  The style and color draw me in but the bag must have all of the elements I need in a bag.  On the other hand, I'm certainly not going to buy an ugly bag just because it has everything I want in a bag.

Honored Contributor

@151949wrote:

For me it's function first, then weight and finally looks. Except dress bags - then it's looks first and only.

Actually it has to have comfortable straps.  I do not like attachable straps  I like a bag that has handles that I can carry on my shoulder without attaching.  It has to be lightweight.  I have an anuschka with a braided strap that is my favorite.  Very comfortable.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@151949wrote:

I am much the same, only I have to consider some function for dress bags because I always need to have an asthma inhaler in one and some of the very cute but tiny bags won't hold my inhaler and my keys.

I prefer crossbody bags because it makes it easier to get groceries, my computer bag, and packages up and down stairs both at home and the office. I've seen some really cute hobo style shoulder bags that have tempted me, but I don't own any because shoulder bags always slip at the worst time when I'm carrying other things and I don't want to deal with that.

Honored Contributor

Hopefully I can find both function and looks in the same bag. Of course weight matters too. 

Honored Contributor

It's all abut the function for me.

It can't be too big or too small. It has to have the right pockets in the right places, it has to zip closed completely, it has to feel good on the shoulder, it has to hold my things in just the right way.

Looks come after all that. 

Honored Contributor

Both for me. 

If it’s too heavy empty, I won’t even consider it, no matter what it looks like. 

If it has good function, but doesn’t wow me, I won’t buy it. 

If it is as cute as button, but doesn’t have enough inside pockets or I don’t like the size or how it closes, I won’t buy it. 

Function and style are of equal importance to me. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

With me it varies.  I never carry much stuff around with me, so I don't need a bunch of pockets and pouches.  Unless it's an evening bag, it has to be big enough for my sunglasses.  That's a must have for a daytime bag.