Occasional Contributor

Did I pay full price for a used Dooney? Help needed.

I was so excited to buy my first Dooney. Not so much after it arrived. Here is my story. I watched the Florentine Small Brenna bag for days and only Navy was available. One day, a Natural popped up.  Full price, not as is. I thought it was strange that they would get inventory of only 1 new Natural bag but I quickly snapped it up. It arrived today and it had all the stuffing but the long strap was not secured, just loosely folded up and laying on top of the dust bag sticking up out of the top of the bag. Also, the one side has a rather large crease that causes the bag to bend over instead of sit upright once stuffing was removed. The bag smells new and I could not see any signs of use inside. It also had some shading here and there but I don't know if that is from someone wearing it or the natural look of the leather? It did have a little more pebble texture then I expected for a Florentine. A few scratches here and there as well. I'm on the fence if it is new or a return. For $340 with tax and shipping, I want a brand new bag. If anyone can help me out to know if these things are common or not? Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Did I pay full price for a used Dooney? Help needed.

I would suggest you re-post this under Customer Care.

Super Contributor

I think it's used becaiuse of what you said about the strap. 

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the advice. I will do so.

Honored Contributor

If you feel this handbag is not brand new it probably isn't. New bags should not arrive with scratches. I won't pay for pebbled florentine leather. Call CS, and tell them you don't expect to pay any shipping charges for returning this. They are showing a florentine right now A283094, and they are certainly not pebbled. 

Trusted Contributor

Send it back.  If I even had the smallest suspicion it was used, it would go back quicker than I got it.

Respected Contributor

@lucky72grlI would send it back and ask for refund of shipping both ways. It wouldn't be something that I would pay that much money and it not be perfect. This does happen, sorry to say.

Occasional Contributor

I just watched an unboxing video on YouTube of the same bag received from QVC and realized that my handles were not wrapped and the strap should have been wrapped as well. And my bag had no tags and the yellow registration card was folded up and shoved in the pocket. I love the bag but sadly will send back. Too many flaws in the bag that may have been caused by someone else using it and I certainly don't want to pay full price.  Thanks for all the insights. I'll contact customer care tomorrow.  Since I really want this bag and natural is no longer available, I may take a chance and order the navy. Hope I like that color as much as the natural.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That shouldn't happen.

The silver lining is this gives you the opportunity to load up the bag etc. to see if it's really for you while you have it without worrying about unwrapping it and sending it back.

Dooney bags are usually really heavy. Take a few days to make sure you really like the bag before you order the Navy. Someone obviously received the bag they sent unused and then didn't like it enough to keep. 

When I order a bag I don't fully unwrap it unless I'm 100% sure. I put my things in it and try it in the house with a couple outfits etc.. If I don't like it enough to keep, I take time to replace any wrapping I carefully removed and stuff back the paper so it doesn't lose its shape. 

If you really like the bag and it's sold out ask for a good discount. When you send it back, it will most likely now go to As Is (mark as defective) so someone is going to get it at a discount anyway. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lucky72grl I draw a distinction between 'used' and 'returned'. Some do and some don't. Without seeing the bag, it's hard to say, it sounds like someone received the bag and for whatever reason or reasons chose not to keep it, so returned it... It happens, just as it does in a brick and mortar stores... As for Florentine leather, it seems to me that only when Florentine was the brand new kid on the block could one more or less count on getting an all-over smooth bag. I believe to cover their backsides, the vendor representative even began pointing out that Florentine leather might take on different appearances and that not all Florentine was going to arrive looking very smooth... Personally, if I had doubts, and at that price, I'd return the bag.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...