Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dames and Legends... What Becomes Us Most...

[ Edited ]

I've gotten rid of all the bags now that I wasn't usingHeart.  Donated most to Mr. HC's church.  They love them (mostly Vera Bradley , Anuschka, and 2 MZ Wallace bags).  Trouble is that they keep bringing in homemade baked goods to thank me.  Wreaking havoc with my waistline. Or, what used to be my waistline. 

It is 100 degrees today.  Long hot summer ahead. Heading north to do some wine sipping. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb I agree that we should keep the bad bag purchases somewhat in mind to (hopefully) curtail similar mistakes in the future. But when I make a mistake, and I've made a lot of them, I don't 'knock myself out' over it and tend to move on and look forward, not back, going over and over the bad behavior. I am sure this topic would have been an entire course at the Academy with the Head Mistress and perhaps a little help from ol' Sarge with all of his calisthenics...Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:
@stevieb wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@jaxs mom womansurprisedd: A366010 womanhappyy:

@EdithEllenLily , @jaxs mom : Now THAT'S more like it! Not loving the S&H, though.  womansurprisedd:

@handygal2 @jaxs mom and all: My guess is that one day in June (Birthday Month forQVCC) that there will be a free shipping event. Since this bag was under Just Reduced today (and there is stock), it might be good to wait for a better shipping deal.

Okay, back to my work! Today I'm working on changing out my shoes for summer. It's been so cold and rainy that I haven't needed to do it until now. Usually I do it in early May!

@EdithEllenLily : I'm glad you're getting things accomplished. We haven't been getting much summer weather here either-- cool and lots of rain.

I'm getting more items ready to bring to the consignment store, for my third drop-off of spring/summer items since March. So far I've brought 8 handbags (some NWT womanembarrasseddSmiley Happy, and l'll be parting with 4 more. These all includeDooneyy, Frye,Liebeskindd,MKK,PNN... womansurprisedd:

This is too wasteful!! l'm becoming more discerning with my selections lately. No more impulse-buying, sight-unseen. womanfrustratedd:

@handygal2  A good decision but hard to stick to. I've been really trying to make feweronlinee purchases because so many times, despite pictures and videos, you really don't know what your're getting. I'm doing better, but not completely avoiding it. I honestly don't think it would be completely possible, given the state of the retail environment in the time in which we live...

@stevieb : So true. With the dearth of selection in B&M stores, it's often hard to find something special in-person. But when l do orderonlinee, l make sure the shipping is free both ways, or that l can easily return it to a B&M store. So, no excuses to keep it b/c I'd lose too much $$$$ if l return it, or it's too much of a hassle!

Agree about the importance of ease of returns @handygal2... I didn't want to have to schlep that RL bag back to Macy's recently, but it couldn't have been easier once I was there... That said, I have to disagree somewhat with our friend Edith. I think it's important to keep in mind our bad choices. We all make them and yet I know it's helped me curtail some of my impulse buys. I'll never not be a bag fan and not to sound like the proverbial 'reformed' shopaholic, but I really think it helps to try to limit what comes in at the front door so one then doesn't have to give so much thought to how to send them out the back door... Saves money too...

smileywinkk:

@stevieb : How true. My bad choices came back to roost yesterday. l returned to the consignment store with additional summer items, including 4 more handbags. A rude awakening: 3 of the original 8 bags l had brought in previously hadn't sold. Woman Surprised Usually, they all sell. So I'm stuck with the MK, Liebeskind, and PN that l had assumed were going to other homes. I guess l'll need to learn to love them all over again. Two are NWT, and the other is practically new, so l'm not ready to donate them. Woman Frustrated

@handygal2 What a bummer about having to take those three bags back home. Are you able to reduce the prices while they are there? I do that a little bit and then there is an occasional holiday sale with extra 10 percent off and the bags sell. But, like you, I have taken three home that didn't sell. Do you have a set time to see if they sell, like two or three months? We have a seasonal time frame, e.g., winter bags go home with me when spring comes.

Honored Contributor

@hicindy2 wrote:

I've gotten rid of all the bags now that I wasn't usingHeart.  Donated most to Mr. HC's church.  They love them (mostly Vera Bradley , Anuschka, and 2 MZ Wallace bags).  Trouble is that they keep bringing in homemade baked goods to thank me.  Wreaking havoc with my waistline. Or, what used to be my waistline. 

It is 100 degrees today.  Long hot summer ahead. Heading north to do some wine sipping. 

@hicindy2 Good for you for donating those bags today!! Just carry a bigger bag for awhile to hide your waistline until you reduce, LOL. 

Enjoy your excursion and keep yourself hydrated (with water) while you're sipping. Woman Wink Wow, that sounds HOT already for you!! Take good care, EEL 

Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:
@stevieb wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@jaxs mom womansurprisedd: A366010 womanhappyy:

@EdithEllenLily , @jaxs mom : Now THAT'S more like it! Not loving the S&H, though.  womansurprisedd:

@handygal2 @jaxs mom and all: My guess is that one day in June (Birthday Month forQVCC) that there will be a free shipping event. Since this bag was under Just Reduced today (and there is stock), it might be good to wait for a better shipping deal.

Okay, back to my work! Today I'm working on changing out my shoes for summer. It's been so cold and rainy that I haven't needed to do it until now. Usually I do it in early May!

@EdithEllenLily : I'm glad you're getting things accomplished. We haven't been getting much summer weather here either-- cool and lots of rain.

I'm getting more items ready to bring to the consignment store, for my third drop-off of spring/summer items since March. So far I've brought 8 handbags (some NWT womanembarrasseddSmiley Happy, and l'll be parting with 4 more. These all includeDooneyy, Frye,Liebeskindd,MKK,PNN... womansurprisedd:

This is too wasteful!! l'm becoming more discerning with my selections lately. No more impulse-buying, sight-unseen. womanfrustratedd:

@handygal2  A good decision but hard to stick to. I've been really trying to make feweronlinee purchases because so many times, despite pictures and videos, you really don't know what your're getting. I'm doing better, but not completely avoiding it. I honestly don't think it would be completely possible, given the state of the retail environment in the time in which we live...

@stevieb : So true. With the dearth of selection in B&M stores, it's often hard to find something special in-person. But when l do orderonlinee, l make sure the shipping is free both ways, or that l can easily return it to a B&M store. So, no excuses to keep it b/c I'd lose too much $$$$ if l return it, or it's too much of a hassle!

Agree about the importance of ease of returns @handygal2... I didn't want to have to schlep that RL bag back to Macy's recently, but it couldn't have been easier once I was there... That said, I have to disagree somewhat with our friend Edith. I think it's important to keep in mind our bad choices. We all make them and yet I know it's helped me curtail some of my impulse buys. I'll never not be a bag fan and not to sound like the proverbial 'reformed' shopaholic, but I really think it helps to try to limit what comes in at the front door so one then doesn't have to give so much thought to how to send them out the back door... Saves money too...

smileywinkk:

@stevieb : How true. My bad choices came back to roost yesterday. l returned to the consignment store with additional summer items, including 4 more handbags. A rude awakening: 3 of the original 8 bags l had brought in previously hadn't sold. Woman Surprised Usually, they all sell. So I'm stuck with the MK, Liebeskind, and PN that l had assumed were going to other homes. I guess l'll need to learn to love them all over again. Two are NWT, and the other is practically new, so l'm not ready to donate them. Woman Frustrated

@handygal2 What a bummer about having to take those three bags back home. Are you able to reduce the prices while they are there? I do that a little bit and then there is an occasional holiday sale with extra 10 percent off and the bags sell. But, like you, I have taken three home that didn't sell. Do you have a set time to see if they sell, like two or three months? We have a seasonal time frame, e.g., winter bags go home with me when spring comes.

@EdithEllenLily : The store does have occasional sales, usually on weekends, with 20% off. Also, at the end of the season, she does markdowns. Any items that don't sell within 2 months are returned to me. I wish it was longer, but she likes a quick turnover of merchandise.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@handygal2 @hicindy2 @EdithEllenLily @stevieb + all

The Science of Handbag Regrets includes donating, as well as consigning (as well as gifting).

The reason I happily donate many bags is when:

1. Reality, I don't like the bag and don't use it.

2. The organization will get some needed $$ from the donation.

3. Some lovely woman will get a quality handbag. (There was a time in grad school when I did all my shopping at Goodwill.)

{Doesn't matter if original tags are still on the bag. Donating something lovely is the BEST feeling.}

As several of you have pointed out, I now curtail purchases (really!) by comparing to bags I have. A new bag has to be more delightful than the ones I am choosing to wear. Turns out I CAN admire a handbag without wanting to own it . . .

{As an aside, I actually don't know anyone who owns more than 2 handbags. This includes academics, lawyers, friends in the neighborhood, relatives . . .} This forum is my Fix for handbag appreciators.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

The rose marble is really different and neat looking @jaxs mom 

@jaxs mom The background has a slight bluiish grey undertone, just FYI.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@EdithEllenLily It's not so much a matter of being good... I just don't really want more of these rings... I rarely wear the two I have... I have quite a few pieces of aqua, which is the one I'd most consider, and these days am preferring solid larger pieces of gemstone to rings consisting of many smaller pieces... As far as it goes, if the pictures are to be believed, the iolite looks more similar to the tanzanite, to me, with the amythest appearing somewhat darker...

@stevieb Got it! I'm glad you're not being good. You are no fun that way...Woman Wink

Regarding the iolite, the one I received is very, very dark, so I'm hoping the tanzanite is different enough to keep. 

@EdithEllenLily Well, 'fun' is relative... And, as it were... I am being better, if not always good, which is also relative, clearly... but regardless, behaving isn't my M.O. this time around...

Smiley Wink

Truthfully, I also think Bixby and QVC have gone to this particular well a few too many times... Pretty rings, but a bit bulky and I've lost count of how many incarnations this one has had... I've ordered several, kept two, citrine and iolite, and sent the white topaz back... Didn't care for that one at all... Will also wait to see if this one goes on some kind of special but if it doesn't I won't be disappointed...

Smiley Happy

@stevieb @EdithEllenLily Guess it sold out already!

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom Happy Birthday, JM! Sorry I'm late to the party. But sending you some virtual Vans and Docs along with monthlong birthday wishes and hopefully some So. Cal weather. 😊

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@hicindy2  These are all very appealing bags...

I'm not loving the current denim bag trend, but do like this one...

Coach Dreamer 21 in Colorblock Denim/Brass SALE Women's Sale Alternate View 1

And the two below are just elegant and classic...

Coach Grace Bag With Quilting and Rivets Chalk/Brass SALE Women's Sale

Coach Grace Bag in Colorblock Beechwood Multi/Gold SALE Women's Sale

@stevieb @hicindy2 I have this Grace bag in the black. ❤️ It was my birthday splurge two years ago I think.