Honored Contributor

Re: Dames and Legends... What Becomes Us Most...

[ Edited ]

I was reading about the subject @stevieb  on an insurance agents forum, lol, and this appears to be quite a thing these days.

They hold your roof against you and your plumbing choices Woman Very Happy

Suffice it to say, I learned an incredible amount about the plumbing in my house this afternoon.  Thank God I have no galvanized steel pipes.  Woman Very Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

I was reading about the subject @stevieb  on an insurance agents forum, lol, and this appears to be quite a thing these days.

They hold your roof against you and your plumbing choices Woman Very Happy

Suffice it to say, I learned an incredible amount about the plumbing in my house this afternoon.  Thank God I have no galvanized steel pipes.  Woman Very Happy

@Bird mama  It's interesting that many of them are using 'techology' as an excuse to lower premiums but you have to wonder if this isn't all some sort of game they're playing... See, we lowered your premiums, but because of X,Y or Z we're going to have to assess you higher or insist on a different level of coverage... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

For reading aficionados, @EdithEllenLily and others... I've been enjoying a series by Cora Harrison: the Reverend Mother mysteries... Despite the title and the lead character, these are not overtly religious in nature. They take place in 1920's Cork Ireland... The reverend mother runs a school and some of her former students, now grown, are involved in detection... I wouldn't call this series exactly 'cozy' in nature, as it can be a bit dark at times, but also isn't terribly weighty or steeped in gore... Interesting historical tidbits and a bit of insight (but not too much...) into the IRA round out what are generally good mysteries...

@stevieb   Off to check Cora Harrison out! Sounds like just the sort I'd like . . .

I devoured all the Agatha Christie as a very young soul. By 8 I was all over Nancy Drew. The British mysteries kare a fav. Love the idea of Cork Ireland (my many times great grand father was from County Tyrone) . . .

Thanks!

@1Professor  She's Irish and has other series you might enjoy. One is set in 16th century Ireland. I haven't tried anything from that series yet, but might well.

A few years back I was reading a series focused on mysteries related to archaeological digs set in Ireland and it was very good. You might want to check out the handful of mysteries by Erin Hart. They're wonderful, I thought.

@stevieb 

The first nun mystery books I encountered were actually about a nun and written by a nun, takes place in San Francisco.

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 4.49.49 PM.png

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

For reading aficionados, @EdithEllenLily and others... I've been enjoying a series by Cora Harrison: the Reverend Mother mysteries... Despite the title and the lead character, these are not overtly religious in nature. They take place in 1920's Cork Ireland... The reverend mother runs a school and some of her former students, now grown, are involved in detection... I wouldn't call this series exactly 'cozy' in nature, as it can be a bit dark at times, but also isn't terribly weighty or steeped in gore... Interesting historical tidbits and a bit of insight (but not too much...) into the IRA round out what are generally good mysteries...

@stevieb   Off to check Cora Harrison out! Sounds like just the sort I'd like . . .

I devoured all the Agatha Christie as a very young soul. By 8 I was all over Nancy Drew. The British mysteries kare a fav. Love the idea of Cork Ireland (my many times great grand father was from County Tyrone) . . .

Thanks!

@EdithEllenLily  and @1Professor  Speaking of Lenox and Ireland, I had to go looking around.  Amazon has Irish ornaments for the tree.  

Lenox Luck Of The Irish Miniature Tree Ornaments Set 12 St Patrick's Day Leprechaun NO TREE

Awwww.....look at Valentine's Day Heart

Lenox Valentine Be Mine Miniature Tree Ornaments Set of 12 Heart Dove Cupid NO TREE

Walmart has Fall Harvest

Lenox Set of Ornaments for Ornament Tree (Tree Not Included)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor I believe I recall reading a few of the 'nun' mysteries many years back... I'll have to check out the more recent efforts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2  There seem to be 'harvest', 'trick or treat' and 'mini pumpkin' sets of ornaments for fall lovers. I like them all, but especially the pumpkins.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb @1Professor @hicindy2 + all

I am so glad you are delighted by the Lenox ornament trees!! I just love them, too! So much detail in each little ornament and the trees just glisten.

I have all of the sets mentioned above and more, ordering them over the past year. I have both fall sets along with the new pumpkin ornaments. The fall set with the red jar of jam is really cute and reminds me of my Grandma who made the best strawberry jam! I have the birds, the patriotic ornaments and the very beautiful Easter ornaments, too. The Q sold a set of half patriotic and half Halloween. The trees sold on QVC are slightly shorter than the ones on the Lenox site, but the ornaments hang just fine on them. The 12 Days of Christmas ornaments are darling as well.

If you are signed up for Lenox emails, you will see the periodic sales. I think a good one is 30% off with free shipping. Usually you have to spend $75 to get free shipping, so sometimes I add some sale larger Christmas tree ornaments to my cart to get the free shipping if the sale email is only for a percentage off. 

When I look at my trees, I just smile. Very sweet. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

For us bigtime Halloween fans:  Lenox has a matte black ornament tree (website).  Be adorable with those mini pumpkins. 

Mini Pumpkin 10-piece Ornament Set

Lenox also has Butterfly Meadow Harvest pieces

Oh my:  just noticed the @Bird mama  Lenox set

Such details and workmanship.  Wow. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2  I too saw the black tree and thought it would be cute for the fall themed ornaments... Pretty precious, though, at about eighty bucks for a small metal tree...

@EdithEllenLily  It doesn't look like QVC is currently offering the ceramic tree, though it otherwise appears to be widely available. It is appealing, but the only ornaments I'd probably choose to own would be those associated with fall and probably just the pumpkins... Cute, but I'm taking a pass... I already have a good bit of fall and holiday decor and those are the only 'seasons' for which I bother to do much decorating...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will be hanging upside down like a bat soon. 

Got the QVC special on the Teeter Flextec.  Will let you know how it works.  QVC shipping (free) will probably take 3 weeks. We never use the formal dining room (we have an open floor plan that fits a table and sideboard) and I have rigged up a fitness center in the neglected dining room. 

No Image Found

Hmmmm...I have a small lamp with a black wrought iron base with a leaf and branch design.  Similar to the black matte tree.

I could hang the pumpkins from that.  Amazon will have them in stock Aug. 29'th.  I have some Amazon points to use. thinking thinking....

I go all out for Halloween, Valentine's Day, and Easter.