Honored Contributor

Re: DOONEY'S NOW LAST ON THE LIST?

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

Dooney was one of three East Coast leather companies that have been in business since the late 1800's crafting items for horses or riding, transforming themselves into American companies of longstanding that specialized in handcrafted leather handbags (some shoes).... Dooney & Bourke, Coach and Brahmin.

I have always had a lot of respect for these companies, until they decided (Coach and Dooney) to get as many sales as possible.  Coach was first with sales, reduced prices, outlet stores and unimanageable access to their product at most stores that sold upper end handbags.  So the public went nuts buying them!  Today Coach is trying to reassess their brand, making exclusive $600 - $900 bags!  But Coach is having trouble getting the public reinterested after such product oversaturation.  Dooney thought the Outlets were a good idea, and so did the public but they were losing their "exclusive" appeal quickly. Dooney seemed to watch what Coach had been doing and curbed their instinct.  They seemed to save most of their appeal but the public slowly got tired......  Then the very one of a kind Brahmin, which as far as I know does/did not have/had outlets.  Rarely sales.... but their product, although extremely well made doesn't vary much past the faux croc look.  A specific look, although beautiful, doesn't appeal to everyone. 

Do I think Dooney will go out of business?  No  I think they will develop more styles and keep making quality products, hopefully in America.  I also think that Coach will also stay around although I have doubts about their upper-end styles.  I also think that Brahmin will continue.  And I hope they all will manufacture here in America.

Frankly though, I think "the day of the handbag" may be over.... the rush for the exclusive, expensive handbag that can be shown off may be over or close to it.  Seems that even the allure of a Louis Vuitton doesn't seem to hold the power it once had.

JMHO  Woman Happy

@Q4u   I appreciate and agree with your reply until the last paragraph. When I sold my some of my LV bags, they were in hot demand and I received good priced even for well loved bags that showed wear. Chanel, Fendi and other designer bags are still purchased by those who enjoy them. There are still knockoffs...even on Amazon. 

Recognizable labels on bags and expensive shoes may be limited to fewer buyers, but will be around for them to purchase. 

***LV, Gucci and Fendi all came out with masks to match their bags. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@65and fabulous   I think there will always be a place for a good quality leather bag. The finances of many has changed and maybe these luxury items have taken a backseat for now or maybe forever...who knows?  I have kept my Dooneys...not 25, but many collected over the years. I also have inderited my Mom's Chanel bag which I'm keeping and using occasionally. 

It may be in bigger cities than where I live and women are more style conscious, maybe not affected financially by COVID, life continues as usual.....the "ladies who lunch". 

Respected Contributor

I think Dooney is last on the list because it's hard to find a perfect bag (like they once were). 

I'm tired of ordering because there's always a defect.  Such a hassle to return and wait for another defective bag until I give up.

So sad this once popular name is going out.  

Honored Contributor

With no offense intended toward anybody, I can only say I do hope to see the current casual lifestyle tempered just a bit. I'm as guilty of some aspects of it as anyone, but am fully tired of seeing folks running around in a steady diet of ath-leisure, pajama bottoms and hoodies... I would add, regardless of how practical or lightweight they might be, there will never be room in my closet for a wardrobe of Lug or Lug type bags... Sorry, to me, they're just not attractive...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

The latest for the 20-something set seems to be cloth or other bags that are unstructured and simple, but have wide decorative straps you can switch from bab to bag - like Ah-dorned.

And they all WANT an LV! Some of DD's friends already have one.

Does anyone else remember the bags of our teen years that basically had a wooden frame, then you could buy different "covers" for them that you buttoned on? I think I might still have mine somewhere. I had a few different covers, one of them monogrammed. I was telling DD about them.

The latest fad is not for me. I'll stick to my favorites.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

They aren't a hot fashion item I'd think except for older people like me. They aren't exclusive and they are a little "retro" now. 

@Sooner   I'm 72....older...and although I like the look of the bags and admit to owning many, I think they don't go with the current casual lifestyle (& sometimes budget). I don't think when I'm wearing my nicer knit pants and a  matching cotton shirt, I'd reach for a heavy, structured Dooney. My lightweight nylon bags seem more appropriate. 

@Shanus I have gone to smaller leather bags now.  Not as clunky and heavy, smaller and sleeker, and bags that will hold only what I take out with me now.  

Levenger had a good sale on them recently and I got a new basic brown leather one and LOVE it! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

The latest for the 20-something set seems to be cloth or other bags that are unstructured and simple, but have wide decorative straps you can switch from bab to bag - like Ah-dorned.

And they all WANT an LV! Some of DD's friends already have one.

Does anyone else remember the bags of our teen years that basically had a wooden frame, then you could buy different "covers" for them that you buttoned on? I think I might still have mine somewhere. I had a few different covers, one of them monogrammed. I was telling DD about them.

The latest fad is not for me. I'll stick to my favorites.  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom  Yep, Bermuda bags... Very cute...

THE BERMUDA BAG. IT'S BACK — www.stylebeatblog.com

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb - Thanks for sharing the pic! That brings back memories! I'll have to find mine and see if DD wants to start something- yeah, like THAT will happen! LOL!  Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

@stevieb   OMG!! I couldn't count how many colors of covers I had....embarrassing!!! I even had 2 spare handles, just in case.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Dooney was one of three East Coast leather companies that have been in business since the late 1800's crafting items for horses or riding, transforming themselves into American companies of longstanding that specialized in handcrafted leather handbags (some shoes).... Dooney & Bourke, Coach and Brahmin.

I have always had a lot of respect for these companies, until they decided (Coach and Dooney) to get as many sales as possible.  Coach was first with sales, reduced prices, outlet stores and unimanageable access to their product at most stores that sold upper end handbags.  So the public went nuts buying them!  Today Coach is trying to reassess their brand, making exclusive $600 - $900 bags!  But Coach is having trouble getting the public reinterested after such product oversaturation.  Dooney thought the Outlets were a good idea, and so did the public but they were losing their "exclusive" appeal quickly. Dooney seemed to watch what Coach had been doing and curbed their instinct.  They seemed to save most of their appeal but the public slowly got tired......  Then the very one of a kind Brahmin, which as far as I know does/did not have/had outlets.  Rarely sales.... but their product, although extremely well made doesn't vary much past the faux croc look.  A specific look, although beautiful, doesn't appeal to everyone. 

Do I think Dooney will go out of business?  No  I think they will develop more styles and keep making quality products, hopefully in America.  I also think that Coach will also stay around although I have doubts about their upper-end styles.  I also think that Brahmin will continue.  And I hope they all will manufacture here in America.

Frankly though, I think "the day of the handbag" may be over.... the rush for the exclusive, expensive handbag that can be shown off may be over or close to it.  Seems that even the allure of a Louis Vuitton doesn't seem to hold the power it once had.

JMHO  Woman Happy

@Q4u   I appreciate and agree with your reply until the last paragraph. When I sold my some of my LV bags, they were in hot demand and I received good priced even for well loved bags that showed wear. Chanel, Fendi and other designer bags are still purchased by those who enjoy them. There are still knockoffs...even on Amazon. 

Recognizable labels on bags and expensive shoes may be limited to fewer buyers, but will be around for them to purchase. 

***LV, Gucci and Fendi all came out with masks to match their bags. 

I appreciate your reply very much.  I started sellilng pre-loved upper end bags around 2005 on eBay, and saw prices that were unreal   I also started my own collection at that time and while I agree that super-upper end will always find customers, the change in pricing of these bags are lower in general now than they were 10 - 15 yers ago and I think the average customer out there is losing interest.  I personally sold off most of my collection prior to 2010 and also got good prices for my pieces, including several special editions.  As you said there will always be buyers who have the money out there to buy an LV but the "mad rush" to own one that took place 15 - 20 years ago is IMHO near to done with the average lady deciding it isn't as important to her as it once was.....

Thanik you for your comment.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*