Regular Contributor

DOONEY PVC PLASTIC BAGS SELLING FOR MORE THAN DOONEY LEATHER BAGS ON QVC

I really don't understand all of the rave reviews about the Dooney Zip Zip and Dooney Bitsy PVC Plastic bags. I own 4 of the leather Bitsy bags and they are quality. Why anyone would want to pay more for a PVC Plastic Bag than they would a quality leather bag is beyond me. QVC has the same bags in leather for less money or the same price. (Bitsy and Zip Zip) It cost very little to manufacture a PVC bag. I guess for some people it's all about the logo or maybe they are vegan.

Respected Contributor

Re: DOONEY PVC PLASTIC BAGS SELLING FOR MORE THAN DOONEY LEATHER BAGS ON QVC

i think you are talking about the coated cotton bags.  If so i like them because they are well made, impervious to the weather and lighter than leather.  Some of the most popular designer bags are made of the same material.  If this is what you are talking about they do not look like plastic at all.

Regular Contributor

Shawie, I understand if you like them because they are lighter and you don't have to weather proof them, but they are made from "Body 81% PVC / 19% cotton; trim 100% cowhide leather; lining 100% cotton".  They cost pennies to make make compared to a leather bag. My point is that Dooney / QVC are charging more for PVC than many Dooney leather bags. They're making a fortune!  Glad I bought my leather bags when I did. I believe QVC is slowly phasing Dooney leather bags out because they can charge the same price as leather for the plastic / cotton bags and make more of a profit. I can't carry heavy bags anymore so I use small leather bags. I believe plastic looks like plastic no matter what is printed on it. Apparently I'm in the minority because people are buying them. To each their own!  

Honored Contributor

I'm not buying Dooney. Period. But regardless, leather is not the be-all and end-all... I enjoy my leather bags but I also enjoy bags made of other materials. The bottom line for me is whether or not I like a bag and whether or not it will function well for me, regardless of the material... Variety is a good thing...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Zefra  Same reason I buy the Louis Vuitton coated canvas bags; they wear like iron and last forever. Leather doesn't (or it shows its wear) and it's not always the best choice.

Regular Contributor

Sahmlam, I must say, if you want to purchase a PVC / cotton bag Louis Vuitton is a good choice.  They are a very savvy company.

Respected Contributor

@Zefra i really dont have an idea what their profit margins are on their different materials.  The price reflects their costs and whatever the market will pay.  I see them offering coated cotton, nylon and an array of leathers.  I dont see them phasing out leathers.