Honored Contributor

D&B OTO Pebble Leather Drawstring Bag

A269004  Does anyone have this Dooney & Bourke OTO drawstring handbag?   I'm semi-interested in it (good price for their pebble leather) but I have arthritis in my right hand and I'm right-handed, so I wonder how difficult it is to fasten and unfasten that drawstring.  If it's at all difficult, it's a no-go for me because I'll be having to open and close the bag multiple times per day.  Also, the weight isn't bad for pebble leather as is, but is it heavy when filled with your things?   Need a fairly prompt reply since the OTO price goes away at midnight.... Thanks in advance for any input on this bag.

Respected Contributor

Re: D&B OTO Pebble Leather Drawstring Bag

Hi 

I own this Kendall bag.  i don't think it's hard to work the drawstring at all. It's not as heavy as the Florentine satchels, but it's not lightweight. I also have attached a shoulder strap from another bag to convert it to crossbody so that the weight is better distributed. I do also wear it the "normal" way. 

Is it lightweight, no. It all depends on what you put in the bag. You can really load it up because the base is wide.

Is it possible to explain what about a drawstring would be difficult for you and I will try answer in a way that might be more helpful to  you.

There's nothing worse then getting a bag home and finding that it doesn't work!

Honored Contributor

@JavaQueen  Thank you, your answer was very helpful.  Good idea too, to extend the strap to make it crossbody to distribute the weight better. 

If the thing you tug to open and close it was the least bit hard to do, it would hurt my wrist to do it.  My wrist, having the arthritis, works fine but is painful to move oftentimes.  Also it isn't very strong any more. So if I had to tug much to open or close it, I couldn't use the bag much.

I think though that I'm going to pass based on the fact that I'd probably weigh it down and  it would be too heavy for me.  I really hate heavy bags and I do carry a lot (too much).  I tend to use microfiber bags a lot because they are so lightweight to start off with.   And I do like an outside pocket, which this bag clearly doesn't have, so I think I won't spend the money.  It's sure   pretty though -  If I got it, I'd get the smoke.  A friend of mine has a couple of Dooneys in smoke and I really love that color, esp. with the color of this trim.

Very nice bag - enjoy yours!   I'm really glad you responded - thanks so much!  

Respected Contributor

Glad that I could help.

The bag really does open and close easily. Not so easily that someone would be able to yank it open. Very soft leather is used for the drawstring and the slide. Not stiff at all. Recently I used this bag to travel back and forth and I did put a lot of stuff in it. It was sort of heavy. It was one of those times when I was forced to consolidate.

I just adore mine.  I have it in black. Too bad that they lowered the price after I had paid the last installment LOL.

I think they also offer this stylen canvas. That definitely would be lighter.  Perhaps you might find a better price on those elsewhere?  You know that Dooney has a drawstring bag with an outside pocket? I think it's the Logan. You might want to trot over to Dooney's website and chieck it out.

Good luck with your decision!