Esteemed Contributor

Coach buys Kate Spade 2.4 Billion

[ Edited ]

Haven't bought a Coach bag in forever. They used to have beaytiful bags with nice sizes and leather. Then they got to pricy and childish what with putting Mickey Mouse, Peanuts and dinosaurs on their bags. Wonder what mess they will made of Kate Spade. I guess they are going for the millennial money. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coach buys Kate Spade 2.4 Billion

WOW - that's alot of handbags.

Honored Contributor

Oh no..this probably won't be good.  I used to love Coach bags, but anymore so many are boring and not anything that I haven't seen for a long time--I do like the Coach totes better than Kate Spade totes as I hate most Kate Spade zippers on their large bags.  

Perhaps they will rectify that problem. I don't like those zippers that don't go all the way back.  Kate Spade bags are nice, but too many are with no closures (tote size) or they have that odd zipper.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

My friend had a Coach bag at lunch the other day - I thought it was a Dooney - it was a small satchel, tan, very very cute.  I commented on it.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Coach bags; they're excellent. They have expanded as a business over the years and, therefore, expanded their offering--which included new styles that might appeal to many more different folks. Nothing wrong with that. Overall, their handbags are still among the most classic and conservative on the market.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been a great Kate Spade fan, at least not for jewelry and bags.  I do have a pair of eyeglasses in KS frames.  I love the frames which are both interesting and well made -  but they really chintzed out on the case.  That fell apart within a year and considering what the frames cost, that should not happen. 

I don't know a whole lot about the business model for either company, but for some reason I'm thinking this is not the first time the Spade company has been bought out. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm going to suggest this was a bad move for both companies... I'm not a big fan of either, but I don't think this is going to prove to be a positive for either entity.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Coach is not going to make a mess of Kate Spade.  In addition, Kate Spade is more than just handbags and they have been for many years.  Kate Spade is a complete Lifestyle Brand.  They sell a lot of apparel (which is gorgeous) , shoes, Home goods everything.   There is also Jack Spade with their fabulous men's line and bags.  Jack will also remain under control of Kate Spade. Coach's CEO and Kate Spade's CEO said Kate Spade will continue to do their thing and operate separately and they will keep their current executive committee i.e. ceo, PRESIDENT, VP's Creative Director and the rest of their employees.

The retail industry is going thru lots of changes many of them not good.  Thankfully Coach is doing well (I don't care for their merchandise) and Kate Spade is also doing really well.  Together they will grow and Kate Spade will continue to design their beautifuly bags, apparel etc with its exceptional quality.

Respected Contributor

Haven't met a handbag I didn't like

Trusted Contributor

I LOVE Kate Spade.  This proposed purchase makes me nervous.   It had been rumored several weeks ago that Michael Kors was going to purchase Spade.  All retail is shaky and has been for awhile.

Hope that Coach does not affect KS.  They are VERY different in their products.  I find Coach to be passe-not the leather-just the styles, and I have several beautiful old suede hobos from them.  Kate Spade can get funky, but they also sell beautiful classic styles , as well.  Just a 65 year old's opinion.   Kate Spade indeed was sold by the creator Kate Brosnahan (1993-2007 when she left completely) not long into it's successful beginning. It has been owned by several entities.  Interesting history article for those who want iinfo on who has owned the company.

https://www.racked.com/2016/3/2/11140414/kate-spade-brand-bags