Honored Contributor

Cleaning that delicate Makowsky leather?

Has anyone had good luck in cleaning that delicate Makowsky leather?

It's my understanding that "wiping with a damp cloth" is supposed to be OK.  I tried it and it doesn't do much.

I also understand there are claims Bruce said to use a leather conditioner "without" oils.  Haven't tried that yet.

Has anyone had good luck in cleaning these bags, especially a light-colored one?  Mine is a soft yellow.  This is mine, only in yellow:

B. Makowsky Leather Convertible Shoulder Bag w/Fringe Tassel - A221296

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning that delicate Makowsky leather?

I also ruined a BMak bag by trying to clean off a black mark.  Now I have a spot that's much lighter than the rest of the bag which is yellow.  It's noticable and i won't ever use that bag again. 

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, but NO. Nothing works. I have a blue/denim shoulder-to-crossbody glove leather bag and got some dishwasher detergent on it - of all things!! I have tried everything reccommended for taking care of leather. The stain is still there, darker blue & noticeable. I love it so much and it is still beautiful and goes great with most of my sporty outfits that I have invested at least half its value in clening products.... Wish I had a better experience to report. Let's hope your stain is less stubborn. 

Honored Contributor

This isn't help with cleaning but I will tell you what I have done when a handbag is ruined.

Depending on the size of the mark, I use a post earring to cover the spot.

I put the earring through the leather and put the back on it.