Super Contributor

Cigarette smoke and handbags

I feel badly for people who are still addicted to cigarettes. It has been many years for me. But I like to buy as is handbags, and I have received many which are like new. But the last 2 bags I received smelled so much like smoke I could smell it before I opened the box. They are 2 gorgeous Aimee Kestenberg bags. The first I looked online and tried all the suggestions, but no luck. My hands smell like cigarettes from touching them. My room smells like cigarettes. Anything I put in them did. So when I got the second one today with the same problem I just packed them up with a few other items that didn't fit and returned them. I really bagged the clothes tightly and sealed them, hoping they would not acquire the odor. Anyway, I don't mean to be rude, but just a suggestion. If you smoke, and you haven't decided to keep a handbag, please be careful! It is impossible as far as I can tell to get the aroma out of the leather and the lining. Clothes are different, they can be washed. Anyway, I know which bag I love, and since I'll be paying full price, I'll just buy it brand new. It is hard to pass up the savings! This is the first time this has happened in MANY years of shopping with QVC. Thank you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Cigarette smoke and handbags

I avoid "as is" because of what you just posted. It is not worth any savings to me if a handbag has smoke odor. I worked with someone who did not smoke, but her husband did. She had several Dooney  handbags, and they smelled of smoke. One day she asked me if she could borrow one of my handbags since I was not carrying it. I had to be honest and tell her how I detested the smell of smoke, and I told her that her handbags carried the scent from her husband's cigarettes. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know if this would help with the smoke smell but I used coffee beans in a cabinet that we had made because the stain was terrible. The beans did take out the odor.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear that. My mom has been a smoker all her life so I know what you mean.

When I was a teenager I bought a jacket and tried to return it 3 days later and the owner of the store almost refused to take it because it smelled like cigarettes. I had to beg him to give me a refund. I told him it was my mom not me and and then he felt sorry for me.

Have you tried Febreze and other products like it?

I found this article that discusses a few methods to try:

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-cigarette-smell-from-leather/

You can always dry clean the bag as a last resort. If the savings is substantial it is worth a shot. Good luck!!

~Live with Intention~
Super Contributor

i agree about the smoke smell. I used to smoke. I've been quit for about 11 years. My mom smokes and her Dooney bags smell strongly of smoke. She wanted to use one of my bags. I ended up just giving it to her since I didn't use it much anyway because I can't handle my bag always smelling like smoke. When I go to anyone's house who smoke I leave my bag in the truck.

Honored Contributor

I'd return it as defective. That's just rediculous. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Why is this even an issue?  If you buy a used QVC bag and it stinks; send it back.  People who smoke don't care about the damage they are doing to their own heart and lungs; do you really think they care about stinking up some handbag...?  LOL

Honored Contributor

The best method to absorb odors I have found has been using odor absorbers.  They are gel and come in either a little jar or a round plastic packaging and can be found at Ace Hardware, WalMart (in the Pet Section) and in the Air Freshener section of the super market.

I used these quite a lot  when I sold antiques and they absorb all kinds of odors, including mildew. 

I would place them in old trunks, put one in each drawer of a chest.... worked great and didn't come back.

I bought a handbag off eBay and it came stinking of cig smoke.  I opened up all the pockets on the handbag and put it in a plastic bag, blew air into it and placed my opened jar of odor absorber in it and tied the top.  I left it for about 7 days and then checked on it.  I thought I detected a slight remaining scent so I tied it up again and left it for another 7 days..... the odor was gone and it never came back.  I really enjoyed that bag too!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

I remember the Q sending me a Roma tote that smelled like smoke and even had a gum wrapper left behind. They really have gotten worse with sending as-is items at the full price....non smokers pick up on that dreadful smell quick

Honored Contributor

You are so right on both counts, non smokers DO pick up on the smell and those of us who are super sensitive to it actually cough, kind of catches in the throat.

And QVC seems to NOT have anyone checking the return merchandise whatsoever any more.  It's very disappointing.    

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*