Honored Contributor

Cheap, cheesy looking handles/straps

I HATE when a company makes a nice looking substantial purse but then totally cheapens the look by putting on a skinny cheap strap. Esp. if the purse is fairly expensive! I especially hate those straps that look like seat belt fabric on a nice leather bag. IMO - those straps go on a $35 bag not a $350 dollar one. It pretty much ruins the look for me if the straps don't "go with" or compliment a purse.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cheap, cheesy looking handles/straps

Do you buy $350 purses anyway?

Honored Contributor

There have been so many threads about this and I continue to maintain that 'cheap and cheesy looking' are in the eye of the beholder. I have no problems with the fabric straps being used on some of the pricey bags being offered. I have one such bag and think the strap enhances the bag, is more comfortable and also stays better on my shoulder. As far as it goes, I prefer them to those too thin leather straps that cut into the shoulder or that easily slide off and I clearly prefer them to those fake leather straps that flake and peel, like the ones used on some Tignanello bags.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

This strap is also used by Louis Vuitton on the Neo but and it is a great purse.

Deb

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

There have been so many threads about this and I continue to maintain that 'cheap and cheesy looking' are in the eye of the beholder. I have no problems with the fabric straps being used on some of the pricey bags being offered. I have one such bag and think the strap enhances the bag, is more comfortable and also stays better on my shoulder. As far as it goes, I prefer them to those too thin leather straps that cut into the shoulder or that easily slide off and I clearly prefer them to those fake leather straps that flake and peel, like the ones used on some Tignanello bags.

I said it was my opinion and , sorry to tell you, but your opinion is no more important than anyone else's. IMO - it doesn't enhance a bag at all but actually ruins it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I said it was my opinion and , sorry to tell you, but your opinion is no more important than anyone else's. IMO - it doesn't enhance a bag at all but actually ruins it.

No need to be sorry... and excuse me, but I too was merely expressing my opinion... I maintan, as I have on the several threads pertaining to the topic, that it's an individual choice and I expressed why I don't have a problem with them and in fact, in some instances, prefer them... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

________

I see nowhere that Stevie said her opinion was more important?

I agree that this type of strap, like so many things, is personal preference. 

I have seen bags that I really liked the fabric strap, I 

Have seen bags, where I felt it did not work with a particular bag, at all.  

If if someone wanted to give me, an Hermes Birkin, I'd accept it, so as to not hurt their feelings🙃😉🤓

If however I was making a list of things I'd go on a long wait list for, spending $20,000 and up to acquire it, the Birkin wouldn't come close to making the list. 

The Birkin is a nice looking bag, but it really doesn't call to me.

i suspect, the world is full of people who disagree😃

Honored Contributor

Just to add one more point; not all fabric straps are made alike.  And they are not all inexpensive; in fact some cost more to make than an all leather one.

I like that sporty, safari, casual-chic look.