Respected Contributor

Yes, I own one and the only reason I do is because I found it at a thrift store in 1987 for $25.  Had it authenticated.  Excellent quality.  It's stored in a soft dust bag.  My DD will inherit it.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Sure, I'd buy designer bags were they more affordable or had I unlimited resources, but two points i'd make is that first, I'd set a very reasonable limit on how many I'd own and second, I'd set a dollar limit on how far I'd be willing to go to own any inidividual bag. When I see people ostensibly paying into the double and triple digit thousands and beyond for a bag I personally think their priorities are screwed up...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Absolutely!! 

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

I'm not a bag person.  I usually buy cheap non leather bags.  I usually don't like the looks of very couture bags like Louis Vuitton, etc.  But I've always like the looks of Chanel.  Especially their flap bag.  It's price was $4,600.00.  So I was wondering.  I assume there is a difference between Dooney & Bourke and Chanel.  So would you buy a Chanel? My sister is a lawyer.  She makes a good living.  She owns a Prada bag.  She got it in a store in Italy.  So if you had the money would you purchase something in the class of a big couture house?

That bag is a beauty, but almost $5000 for a bag just isn’t in the budget.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Yes I still have a Chanel bag and matching slide shoes which I purchased in U.K. and love them.  Also own a Burberry with matching clogs and Louis V   -  kept these others I had daughters and granddaughters now using but these too will soon be on their way to daughters.  I am pleased they want them.

Not tempted now prefer my knitted, felted bags! which I enjoy making.

Regular Contributor

I inherited three quilted leather Chanel bags with the flap from my great aunt who had barely used them. Two were black and one was camel colored. I gave one to each of the three caregivers who had cared for my aunt in her last few years. 

Honored Contributor

If I had the money I would buy a Prada bag like the bags Kerry Washington used to carry on Scandal. And a Ralph Lauren Ricky bag

s7-1037838_lifestyle.png

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I agree, Chanel's designs are exquisite and never go out of style.  

Resale prices for my Chanel bags all of which I bought new in Chanel stores have been going up.  One style is selling  in the resale market for more than I paid for it.  For me, it was a consideration when buying handbags in Chanel's price range.  

Respected Contributor

I have had two handbag splurges in my life--one Prada and one Balenciaga.

The leather is superb and both are zip-top, the kind of closure I prefer on purses for security. Together the two purses were about half the price of this Chanel. They are comfortable to wear and have lots of extras.

My millenial niece owns the Chanel--I think the younger generation likes big-name fashion items.

To me, that bag is extremely overpriced.  Purses are like cars--they start to devalue as soon as they are out of the store. 

if I really wanted one, I would search the resale sites first. 

Honored Contributor

I love nice bags, but have never had any great desire for a showpiece bag.  My most expensive bag is a $1,200 Coach; but still, it's just a Coach.

There's one teeny, tiny exception; I wouldn't mind an Hermes Birkin bag.