Honored Contributor

CHANGING BAGS FOR SPRING/SUMMER

When I was younger, straw bags were the right of warm weather. They held up for the one season & in the trash bag. I think mine was a “Nantucket Basket”.

Since I still wear black and white in spring/summer, do you stay with your black leather bags or have summer solutions?

Valued Contributor

Re: CHANGING BAGS FOR SPRING/SUMMER

@Shanus I usually go to a lighter color with my bags in spring/summer because my clothes are more colorful.  I usually go to a tan or bone colored bag, either leather or coated cotton.  But if I wore mostly black and white, I would absolutely go with a black leather bag.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus What about a white bag?  Some white leather bags are beautiful.  Do you not care for them?

Honored Contributor

I change purses every Monday. 

I only have one black purse. While I tend to carry lighter colored purses in the summer, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that I’ll pull out the black one and carry it for a week or so. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Citrine1wrote:

@Shanus What about a white bag?  Some white leather bags are beautiful.  Do you not care for them?

@Citrine1  I did try a white bag one spring....the leather, especially corners, were filthy by June. Lol

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

@Citrine1wrote:

@Citrine1  I did try a white bag one spring....the leather, especially corners, were filthy by June. Lol

Oh, right.  I forgot about how they can be difficult to keep clean.  I, personally, have a soft butter yellow bag that I carry in the summer (that I LOVE), and I switch it out with a light gray and a light pink, depending on what I'm wearing.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ShanusOh, I remember those straw bags! By summer's end they were tattered and well worn, but so loved. I usually wore beige heels during the summer (only own one black pair now). Or sandals (if not going to work, Church or out for the evening). Do you wear black shoes throughout the summer? If so, I'd carry a black bag to match my shoes. If you change to lighter shoes during the warmer months, you might try a lighter bag to match.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

While I still like wearing dark colors in the summer (I like black tees) I tend to wear colorful sandals but in the winter it's mostly black boots with a black leather bag.  I change out the heavy black or dark leather bag for a lighter fabric and a more colorful bag.  If I use leather and want a neutral it will be an off white or light gray bag.

I used to love straw bags too!  Brighton makes some cute ones that last but they aren't cheap.

Respected Contributor

I don't have any "summer" bags as I don't care for the light colors. I do have a hot pink Kate Spade tote with a giant flamingo on it, but it's huge and I use it as an overnight bag rather than a purse. I mostly alternate between either a navy blue or saddle tan bag for everyday. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

If I carry a black bag in the summer it's some sort of fabric.  I think black leather bags look wintery.

I don't carry white leather either; I just don't like it.  I would carry ivory or bone though.