Contributor

I want to surprise my mom on her birthday with a lady's bag. Which do you think is best for a wonderful woman aged 52.

Valued Contributor

What style does she normally carry?  If she is a tiny little mom, don't get her a huge and heaavy bag.  Small crossbody bag or hobo is nice.

Super Contributor

Re: Best Bag for Mother

[ Edited ]

What is your price range?  By "ladies bag" do you mean something very structured?

I am in my early 50s and the bag I use the most is Longchamp's Neo Crossbody Bag.  I have the Navy and mine is a few years old - I think this year's version's shape is slightly different from mine.  I like this bag because it is light, holds a lot but isn't too big, durable, simple (I don't like tassles, studs etc).   It is about $215.   While this bag is very versatile and could be used for most occassions - it probably is on the more casual end.

Respected Contributor

JMO but this is something so personal I would never buy for someone else. Like a wallet, people like certain things for it to have. That being said, if you were both out together and she admired a bag then that is what I would get. 

Respected Contributor

@Annie Loves Diamond My mom specifically told me that she wants bags that are super-light.  What about your mom? If so, the really nice, super light weight bags, you can look at Vera Bradley or Travelon.

Also, what is your budget?

Respected Contributor

For may years, I tried to convince my mother that she was becoming an easy target for thieves who could just grab her purse and run.  I thought it might make her less of a target to get a cross body bag.  Thieves like to grab and run, especially if they see a small stature, grey hair and a bag by her side - just grab the handle and pull away.

She finally agreed, and now that is all she wants, especially after seeing another lady have her bag stolen right out of her shopping cart.

Now her hands are free to shop and she doesn't have to hang on to her bag.  I think it's especially important for "ladies of a certain age" to make themselves as safe as they can at all times.  Even if your purse and items can be easily replaced, they could end up with broken bones or worse from a fall. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Contributor

52 is not that old!  Unless she has requested something specific in terms of size or style I would get her something classic.  You can never go wring with a Dooney.  I have several in all styles, sizes and fabrications and love them.  MK also has a wonderful selection.  

PS I am 51 and do not feel that I any more of a target for theives or likely to fall than my 18 year old daughter!

Honored Contributor

@Kristy66 wrote:

52 is not that old!  Unless she has requested something specific in terms of size or style I would get her something classic.  You can never go wring with a Dooney.  I have several in all styles, sizes and fabrications and love them.  MK also has a wonderful selection.  

PS I am 51 and do not feel that I any more of a target for theives or likely to fall than my 18 year old daughter!

when I read the titile I thought the Mother was 80+  

and a target for thieves at the ancient age of 52.  I guess I need to order my walker 

Honored Contributor

@Kristy66 wrote:

So glad you reiterated this.  Many here were thinking the mother was around 95!!

Honored Contributor

Why don't you just ASK her want she wants?  I think that is always the only option for an expensive gift or a gift you expect someone to really use. 

Why surprise someone when the surprise may be that you got them something they either don't want or don't like?  I think people would rather get something they want and will love and use rather than being surprised. . . ALWAYS!