Esteemed Contributor

Basic Question about Handbags

Such high price point for some if not all bags.  Are expensive bags all that better?  

To qualify what I am saying I go around with a shopping bag or a low priced shoulder bag. Holds stuff. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Basic Question about Handbags

I think it’s subjective. I have some Dooney and Bourkes I’ve had for years and still look new. Also, I’ve had some less expensive purses I got at a shoe store and they’ve lasted as well. I have a very inexpensive straw bag I got from Macy’s around 5 years ago and it’s holding up very well.

Honored Contributor

Generally they are better, but you should carry what you like and spend what you are comfortable spending.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Generally they are better, but you should carry what you like and spend what you are comfortable spending.

Exactly. We all establish our own priorities and when it gets down to it, virtually everything worth having is overpriced these days. We're often paying for brands rather than exclusively for quality, though 'better' brands have often earned a reputation for quality and some of them have even maintained it...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I don't buy clothing, shoes, or handbags very often since I don't follow trends at my age.  I tend to spend more and keep items for a LONG time. 😃

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu  You don't have to spend a lot of money for a bag but I look for quality and durability.  I want the bag to last through the years.  I buy my bags on sale and I usually purchase Kate Spade.  I just bought a white pebble leather bag for $134 from $298 with free shipping.  That bag will last me for many years and it doesn't weigh a ton.  I hate bags that are heavy.

The problem with cheap bags is they fall apart so you end up buying another bag.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I finally invested in a Dooney bag, and never have I been so disappointed.  I shoudl have sent it back right away but I did not. It was the zip zip and the zippers both of them are so hard to work its ridiculous.  Pretty bag and I will use it because I spent the money on it but will never be able to open the zippers all the way.  I tried using soap, graphite and such but they just are difficult to open.  UGH, lesson learned.

I fell in love with Tignanello years ago and still love those bags with never an issue.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu Some of it is the name, but quite a bit is the quality of the leather.  Italian leather is expensive but it feels like butter and has a beautiful patina.

Respected Contributor

I generally carry a leather bag in the fall and winter and a cloth or coated canvas in spring and summer.  The hotter months prefer a light bag, such as a Vera Bradley because I do not need anything adding to the hot Factor of the season.

Esteemed Contributor

It all depends on what you consider to be expensive. I think a quality bag holds its shape better, is generally a better quality leather and has a look that appeals to me. I think what's more important is to know when to get rid of a handbag because it's falling apart. I occasionally see a woman carrying a bag where the leather or faux leather handle or strap is ripped or torn along with the body of the bag itself. It doesn't really matter whether you prefer a more expensive bag or a moderate or inexpensive bag. Inexpensive bags usually show signs of wear and tear more quickly, and that's when it's time to get a new one!