Honored Contributor

Re: Bag-ettes... The Beat Goes On...

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2  I used to enjoy technology and learning about technology, but not so much anymore. Moreover, dealing with the whole cable hookup thing is just a hassle. Agree, when I was working my last job, the IT folks took good care of me, even to some extent my personal devices and I too really miss that perk... I have a brand new, unused tablet because I can't seem to get the thing connected... Sooner or later, I'll ask someone more knowledgeable than I to figure it out... Heck, it's already out of date, but it'll serve my purpose...

Then again, nothing works as it should... The condo sent plumbers in today... They arrived hours after the scheduled time, there were three of them for a small job in one of the bathrooms, none of them were masked and it took them longer than it should have to finish up... Moreover, when they left, I noticed a bottle of my cologne appears to be missing... I haven't noticed if anything else is MIA... I'll not raise the issue, it was an old bottle, three quarters empty, but I will tell the Building Engineer that I'd prefer not to have them back... Whether one of them took the bottle, broke it or moved it someplace that I haven't yet found it almost doesn't matter... I just didn't like their act... Next, in came a team of three to price out repairs to the plaster and paint... Really? That job took three people? By the time all was said and done this had taken up more than half my day for what should have amounted to an hour's work by maybe two people...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skyblue wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

The new Nash European map print... It's back in stock, but I was lucky, I guess, to get it at the TSV price... 

@stevieb @This bag is striking! I love the print and the silhouette!👜😍

Thanks @skyblue. Yep, it's sort of a neat bag. I like it!

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb I'll tell you one thing; companies are taking the Covid thing seriously around here. We have had a number of service people traipsing thru our house. All of them are masked, even though we tell them that we are vaccinated.They said that the supervisors are checking up on them etc. The companies are posting the Covid protocols online. And calling ahead to assure the customer. Mr. HC is going to a lecture at our clubhouse and they are checking your proof of vaccine at the door and limiting participants. The club's BBQ got cancelled over the Delta surge. No potlucks maybe ever. Everyone is bugging their health provider for a booster.

I put a key lock on my walk in closet door. I have the good jewelry, credit cards, checkbooks, tax stuff in there locked up if someone comes to the house. How odd about the cologne. Trivial item, but worrying and a bit creepy. 

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry that I've been away more this summer (especially).  I've been working with a very ill bird since the beginning of July.  After years of feeling alone in the world as it relates to finding doctors who will treat a pigeon, I found one in July.  What I thought was a prayer answered started out well until I started to ask questions about testing I felt was redundant and life threatening since sedation is a risk for every bird and a common cause of death.  I thought we turned a corner with my Francis in August and the vet practice more or less set me up to fail post-surgery.  I had to take Francis to an emergency vet on Labor Day to help him cross the rainbow bridge.

I haven't been this traumatized since my husband died.  Nobody wants to come to a forum and read the words of someone who is going through that kind of he**.  I didn't even talk about it much in the Bird's Nest thread in the Among Friends section of the community where I usually talk about my flock non stop.

While I'm not in the mood to really look for a new bag, I will be getting a new furnace/AC system installed next week.  Never went through this process before and it's been interesting (to me).  Heating and cooling company that installed the system I have now (installed before I bought the house) came out on Monday.  Wow, dude was here 2 1/2 hours and checked on everything.  You know I followed him around right?  I've been on borrowed time with the Lennox currently in the house for a few years so I've studied various gas furnaces.  When he got here I already knew what I wanted which I think was helpful.  I left the door open for discussion on BTU's, size of bypass humidifier and thermostats.  

I learned even more during his visit and so next Wednesday they come to put in the machinery and next Thursday the electricians come to upgrade the cable (?) that goes from the meter to the A/C.  A few days before the Francis tragedy I decided to kick on the furnace to take the chill out of the house.  The furnace was fine in June and this time even though it came on, the gas jets lit up and the blower worked, something funky tripped in the ignition and it sounded like the cast of Riverdance was in the basement.

Figured it would be a good idea to move on a new system before it gets really cold around here.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@hicindy2  Serious here too. This is the only group I've seen that weren't masked. We have new management here and they aren't proving to be very capable or very popular or I would call and suggest they better check out their contractors. The cologne had somehow ended up in the trash can. I suspect one of them knocked it in there by mistake and perhaps didn't even realize it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama  I am so sorry about Francis. I felt like that when my Sherman died. It was a little turtle (named after the Sherman tank) bought at Woolworths. He loved freeze dried liver and lived in his little plastic island house. He went all through college with me and lasted longer than my first marriage. Then he caught a cold and was sluggish and his eyes looked bad.  Took him to an emergency vet. Sat there with a plastic dish on my knees among all the cats and dogs. The vet was so nice; she even called the Aquarium. gave him drops, but we couldn't save him. I have never had a pet of my own since...crazy huh. I loved that little guy. No one really understands and they look at you funny, but he meant something special to me. You are their whole universe and you feel guilt that somehow you've let them down. 

The condo

Pet Turtle Aquarium. I'm sure the "plastic" palm tree really made my turtle feel right at home ...

Red-Eared Sliders

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

While I may not contribute on a regular basis I do enjoy this group! How nice to just celebrate some of the fun things in life -- BAGS -- and vent a little about the challenges of just carrying on. But with humor and grace instead of venom and snark. That's why I lurk and chime in when I have the urge to do so.

While I originally wanted a Portland Leather pebbled style I am now glad I received the smooth leather for my AP Mystery Tote. Looks like that "ruffling" would quickly get sloppy.

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama  I am so sorry for all the challenges. I understand fully the range of emotions involved in caring for animals. They're wonderful but do come with the capacity to undo their humans. As for the new HVAC, a wise and necessary investment. Hope the installation is without a hitch.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

The new Nash European map print... It's back in stock, but I was lucky, I guess, to get it at the TSV price... 

@stevieb : Lucky you to have scored this beauty as a TSV! This is my favorite map print among those offered by both PN and Alviero Martini. I'm hoping it will be available in a tote or hobo version in the near future. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb : Lucky you to have scored this beauty as a TSV! This is my favorite map print among those offered by both PN and Alviero Martini. I'm hoping it will be available in a tote or hobo version in the near future. 

Thanks @handygal2. Actually, this print was available on a tote and for an excellent price on the same day the satchel was the TSV. I believe it sold out but my guess is that if they brought the print back for the satchel, they'll restock the tote as well. I believe the item number is A352158, though the European map print is not currently showing as available and the price is no longer reduced. Free shipping though. I'm not sure if this pattern is available on other bags at this point.