Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bag Dames and Divas... It's a New Day...

To All:

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 8.50.13 AM.png

Honored Contributor

Hi @Leeny

I'm doing something different this year for Thanksgiving.  I've never been a traveling diner Woman Very Happy  From the time I was a kid I had TG dinner at home.  When I met my husband and we bought this house, I had dinner at home.  Sure, I visited family to say hi on TG day, but my dinner was at 'home' with him and the dog. 

After my eldest sister's husband died in 2012, she started inviting me and middle sister for dinner on TG, Christmas Eve, Easter.  I have to be honest - I went to get more face time with eldest sister, which never quite worked out.  Her grown kids followed us around - not in a bad way, just an annoying way.  Sometimes I just wanted to talk to her, sister to sister.

My eldest great niece started the dinner tradition right before my eldest sister died.  I've been invited there for holiday dinners.

It's so hard to describe this without coming across like an ingrate.  I appreciate being included, it's thoughtful, it's just not same without my sister.  Most of the time dinner doesn't start until 6pm and fingers are always crossed that it will start on time.  

About a month or so ago I mentioned to my middle sister that I was keeping TG at home this year.  I'm not much of a foodie so if I have a big dinner or not, it really doesn't matter to me.  I don't want the drive, I don't want the noise.

I told my middle sister that if she wanted, she was welcome to come over and have TG dinner at my house.  My Ma served Sunday and holiday dinners around 2pm - 3pm.  I like to serve food the way my mother did it - piping hot and steaming when I bring it to the table.  I want the food I ate when I was growing up Woman Very Happy

To that end, I am making a turkey breast, stuffing, devilled eggs.  I have the pickles and olives for the 'relish tray'.  Instead of making rolls or biscuits, I'm cheating with King's hawaiin rolls.  Sister is bringing the sliced cucumber in sour cream, sauerkraut with kielbasa and a butter bean dish that's made with tomato sauce and bacon/onions.  I'm baking a Sara Lee apple pie - Sara makes a decent pie, lol.  I have to run out and buy more spinach dip and Stacy's pita chips because I ate what I bought last week, lol.

Nobody is driving far and by the time the rest of them are sitting down for dinner, we'll be stuffed and watching our second Christmas movie (DVD).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

@stevieb I think I'll still pass on the Wallace bags. I know there are some here that really like them, like @handygal2 @EdithEllenLily, but I can't see spending that much on nylon bags. Maybe someday I'll change my mind??? lol

@Leeny: I only own 2 MZW bags, and l am taking a break now. I agree that they're expensive, but they're so much nicer than Kipling and other brands that specialize in nylon bags, IMO. I'll only buy additional MZWs if l get a good deal on them, lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Leeny: Thanksgiving will be at DS and DIL's house again this year. I'm bringing the sweet potato pudding and cranberry compote. I give anyone who hosts this holiday a lot of credit. So much work! I hope you enjoy the holiday, and it's good that you're getting a lot of help from your family!

No Black Friday shopping for me! I've done most of my Christmas shopping already anyway, and anything additional will be done from my sofa. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Patricia Nash has some cute tartan plaid (Macy's)

Patricia Nash Tartan Plaid Borse Coin Purse

HSN does too, but beware, extended delivery date

Patricia Nash logo, bags and accessories

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama Good for you. Doing what you want to do... Hoping you enjoy your Thanksgiving dinner... It sounds good!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

@Leeny wrote:

@stevieb I think I'll still pass on the Wallace bags. I know there are some here that really like them, like @handygal2 @EdithEllenLily, but I can't see spending that much on nylon bags. Maybe someday I'll change my mind??? lol

@Leeny: I only own 2 MZW bags, and l am taking a break now. I agree that they're expensive, but they're so much nicer than Kipling and other brands that specialize in nylon bags, IMO. I'll only buy additional MZWs if l get a good deal on them, lol.

@handygal2 @Leeny There's been a lot of discussion of the brand and, like everything else, we all call the shots about how we spend our dough... but I do agree that for me, they're too expensive for what they are... When the name first surfaced and I checked them out both on-line and at Bloomies, I thought the non-sale prices were absolutely laughable and the sale prices, while better, not better enough... I agree, they are a nicer version of nylon than other nylon bags but, for me, at the end of the day, they're still nylon and, for me, not particularly desirable, especially at their prices... Like I said earlier, I can see having a few nylon bags, but I don't have any desire for a closet full of them... As always, though, to each their own...

Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@hicindy2 I have to admit a weakness for tartans... I'll be good, but I do love a good plaid...

Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@hicindy2 I have to admit a weakness for tartans... I'll be good, but I do love a good plaid...

Smiley Wink

@stevieb I want to design my own Barrington Wine tote: that's my idea of "Merry and Bright" 

Honored Contributor

Ok ladies, I’m treating myself to a Bixby gemstone beaded necklace, I want tanzanite but I think garnet might match all my enhancers better. Even the Tibetan eye has the rhodelite in it. I’m also conflicted on length. The onyx bead I have is 15 inches and my black cord is 15 1/2. I’m loving the short length but maybe I should go 18 for variety? I’m not king 20 inch.

I really really want the tanzanite I’m just wondering how it would look with my Tibetan eye, Ganesh ( which is London blue topaz) and my onyx and rhodelite heart charm?
Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval