Honored Contributor

Re: Bag Dames... They ALWAYS Lead with the Bag

@GCR18 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@GCR18 @EdithEllenLily... I've always been partial to that bad boy with fair hair... but I don't know... Lately, the tall, dark, handsome, hot and nasty one has my glasses steaming up...

Woman Very Happy Woman Wink Woman Tongue

large (3).gif

Fine, I'll have one of each.  😎

Oh, I'm sorry @GCR18, I'll arrange to ship you the other one, but this one is ALL MINE...

Woman Tongue Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@hicindy2 Uh, where in Virginia are they from and where in Virginia is the wedding... 

@stevieb Charlottesville which I understand is pretty and quaint when there are no marches/riots.  They will be living in a refurbished house on the parent's estate in Earlysville. The farm itself is over 100 years old and the dad is an architect. They haven't told us the exact  location of the church and country club yet.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb okay, providing it's worth the wait.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@hicindy2 Uh, where in Virginia are they from and where in Virginia is the wedding... 

@stevieb Charlottesville which I understand is pretty and quaint when there are no marches/riots.  They will be living in a refurbished house on the parent's estate in Earlysville. The farm itself is over 100 years old and the dad is an architect. They haven't told us the exact  location of the church and country club yet.  

@hicindy2 Charlottesville is beautiful and that march was an anomaly by a mile, believe me. It's also where the University of Virginia is located, which is also quite beautiful and, I have to say, my alma mater... It's also a pretty upscale, somewhat traditional and intrinsically southern area. That said, it's also somewhat cosmopolitan by virtue of the mix brought in by The University... You know what will make you comfortable, but in the interest of full disclosure, I suspect this will be a significant event and attire will be somewhat dressy... September in Charlottesville will probably be warm, but, of course, you never know. And they do get a fair amount of rain. The club will probably be the Farmington in Charlottesville or the Glenmore in Keswick, both old money haunts by history, but I have no idea what they're like these days. I suspect, though, that they haven't changed much. Times change and so do families, but if this is an 'old Virginia' family, I'd expect dresses and hats will be the norm... As always, though, our attire is our call... And given I don't know these people I could easily be wrong... But  I don't think so... All the trappings seem to be there...

All that said. I love Charlottesville, wish I'd never left, but since I did, wish I'd had the good sense to move back years ago... I still might one day... Lots to do and see there... It's Virginia's wine country and the area is steeped in history. 

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

@stevieb okay, providing it's worth the wait.

I'm pretty sure it will be... @GCR18... Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Glad you found us @skyblue... Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@hicindy2  The outfit you mentioned sounds very appropriate.  If you are in communication with any of the other CA (or other) attendees, you might want to ask what they are planning to wear.  You're right that things are more relaxed here in Northern CA.  

My 2 daughters graduated from college this year, one from a mid-west school and the other from SF.  I dressed the same for both events, but was very over-dressed for the SF graduation.  I didn't really care, but the biggest problem was that I had to walk for many blocks in uncomfortable shoes to get to my parking spot in SF!

Hope you are safe from the fires.  I'm south of you on the Peninsula and can smell the smoke when I go outside.  

@Linmo  When I worked in San Francisco in the Financial District, we always had a pair of comfy shoes in our tote.  Your heels could get caught in a grate and the curbs are high too. I loved the energy of that City. 

The engaged "kids" involved are artists and sell lovely pet portraits and cards at the flea market and my stepson refurbishes old historical buildings. My husband 's first wife and the mom is from California (Humboldt County) and will probably wear some tie dye flowy thing and want to play the flute at some point (she was a musical artist). I think the fiancee's parents are the more formal type and want things a certain way so I am trying to go with the program. 

The fires are heartbreaking.  I lived in Santa Rosa for 2 years and worked there and in Sonoma;  lovely area. We are safe in Roseville but feel so bad.  This is the time of year for harvest festivals and wine tasting. 

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@hicindy2 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@hicindy2 Charlottesville is beautiful and that march was an anomaly by a mile, believe me. It's also where the University of Virginia is located, which is also quite beautiful and, I have to say, my alma mater... It's also a pretty upscale, somewhat traditional and intrinsically southern area. That said, it's also somewhat cosmopolitan by virtue of the mix brought in by The University... You know what will make you comfortable, but in the interest of full disclosure, I suspect this will be a significant event and attire will be somewhat dressy... September in Charlottesville will probably be warm, but, of course, you never know. And they do get a fair amount of rain. The club will probably be the Farmington in Charlottesville or the Glenmore in Keswick, both old money haunts by history, but I have no idea what they're like these days. I suspect, though, that they haven't changed much. Times change and so do families, but if this is an 'old Virginia' family, I'd expect dresses and hats will be the norm... As always, though, our attire is our call... And given I don't know these people I could easily be wrong... But  I don't think so... All the trappings seem to be there...

All that said. I love Charlottesville, wish I'd  never left, but since I did, wish I'd had the good sense to move back years ago... I still might one day... Lots to do and see there... It's Virginia's wine country and the area is steeped in history. 

@stevieb  I just had a feeling you were going to tell me that.  I think that is what is spooking me:  dresses and hats and then "me" looking like a lost bank auditor.

Well, I have lots of time to find something and I can ask the future groom to do some digging for me on the fashion forecast front. Thanks for the heads up.  

Esteemed Contributor

@hicindy2 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Hi @stevieb and @hicindy2 ... one of my nieces is now living in the Manassas, Virginia area.  I don't think I have ever been in that section of Virginia.  What is it like?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hicindy2 I could be completely off-base about the wedding. Yes, definitely best to get the lay of the land from someone close to the event... I wonder if they're being hitched in the University chapel. If so, it's a beautiful somewhat gothic structure, but not large. It's very popular for weddings and does have to be booked well in advance.

Image result for uva chapel

Related image