Respected Contributor

Re: Bag Dames... Anything Goes...

[ Edited ]

@Grnidkjun wrote:

@NycVixen and @Bird mama

Do you let your bird babies fly around the house for exercise?

How do you manage that with them?

@Grnidkjun Hi! Yes, my baby bird (only have one lovebird) comes out to fly every other day. She's out as I speak. She's been trained to have access to one large part of my apt but not the other side where the kitchen and bathroom are. I have a door I placed at the end of that room where she's allowed that blocks her from the other part of the apt plus the front door.

Birds tend to perch in a few areas so you can manage it rather easily. She has an 'air nest' on top of a curtain panel and has been trained not to touch the other ones. So basically, you don't end up with poo everywhere as it might seem. Lovebirds don't really go that often as parakeets so it's very manageable. 

I live in a really big studio so her cage is placed hanging from the ceiling in front of a window. She's always in the middle of everything but the divider allows me to cook, use the phone etc. without affecting her or having her wonderful singing heard as much when necessary. 

However, I'm used to working from home with her with no problem. I think people who are used to having birds can concentrate in any setting LOL. 

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

@EdithEllenLily wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

Love this Tory Burch blue and white satchel.

@stevieb Very pretty. I think you like bone better than I do (or is this a creamy white?). Bone bags are so elegant, but not so practical for me. I love the different kinds of perforation in this one. I wonder if it comes in other colors?

I love bones, off whites, creams, whatever... This was the only option I saw for this bag, @EdithEllenLily and I never could find the dimensions. I wasn't going for it anyway, but I'm always surprised when any store fails to provide measurements for a handbag. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

@Bird mama

That is amazing. Aren't sparrows normally wild birds? I ask as it's the first time I've heard of them kept as pets. 

That's fantastic you have the space for them like that. I love it!

My little dogs have their own room for when I'm not here, and because of coyote, wolves and hawks and such.. They have their own privacy fenced yard off one of the back doors. 

I don't have birds, but I understand doing what you can for your pets to make sure they are safe and happy. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

June InsideQ is up

And for my fellow Wen users the classic and seasonal gallons item numbers are included for preorder. I think I might skip buying a gallon this year since I still have a SHP gallon that's pretty full plus a couple of the spring TSV and trio set on AD. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

@NycVixen

I never realized they could be trained to stick to certain areas.

I bet that is one happy baby.

So, I take it you do like birdmama and keep paper under the regular perches?

I've always found birds beautiful, but know nothing about caring for them. 

Is she hand fed as well?

@Bird mama.. What about the sparrows? Do they sit with you?

Super Contributor

@stevieb.. I love a pretty bone bag as well. I have a hard time resisting them.. And black.

I tend to fail miserably in the resistance.

Have you ordered this one yet?

Honored Contributor

@Grnidkjun  Most people don't keep sparrows.  I'll try to consolidate this story too, rofl.

There was a nest that blew out of one of my trees after a summer storm in June 2005.  Nest looked empty to me and my husband (who was alive at the time).  I put the empty nest in a plastic grocery store bag and set it on top of the recycling containers in the attached garage.  This was a Saturday.  Next day I go grocery shopping in early evening.  I come home and hubbie helps me carry the groceries into the kitchen and says, hey Bernie, where'd you put that nest.  I said why, he said, something's chirping.

Low and behold, there were 3 eggs in there that hatched - bag acted like an incubator.  We put the nest in a basket and wire the basket in a tree.  Three babies cry nonstop from 7 pm till midnight.  Hubbie notices there are 2 voices now.  We make the decision to try to hand raise.

I had been researching hand raising through the day.  I get a recipe for the formula, rush back out to the 24 hour grocery store, buy the stuff, make the formula, send hubbie to bed and spend the night in my attached garage in my car.  A/C was on in the house - birds needed heat and the garage was nearly 100 degrees.

I fed them all night and prayed over them.  Taught hubbie what to do in the morning (he was a retiree).  I took a shower and went to work and thus began the journey.

Male - Poppi, Female - Peewee.  Peewee passed away in 2014.

This was 2005.  At that time we had a dog too - Max.  Hubbie dies Jan 2007, dog dies September 2008, Grayson the pigeon finds me in 2009 (4 years after Poppi and Peewee were born).

Grayson was attacked by something and found my back door.  Found a local vet who was also on rehabber list with Michigan.  Made vet see Grayson, was told he's never fly.  Grayson joined my flock.

Four years later, 2013, niece's husband narrowly misses running over a hatchling that came from God knows where (no trees on the property).  Bird was 4 days old, eyes still closed.  She calls me, I say, I can't make any promises.  Ending up hand raising that one in my car in the parking garage at work.  That is my Presto.

All I can tell you is this.  Like every dog or cat in my life - they find me, I don't go looking for them.  I'm slightly nervous since it's been 4 years since Presto and I've been on a 4 year schedule since 2005.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

@Bird mama

That is amazing! Thank you for sharing.

And I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband and pet babies. 

God knows what he's doing when he sends them to you!

Heart

Honored Contributor

No @Grnidkjun. I won't be ordering. I just thought it was very pretty.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Grnidkjun  The sparrows imprinted on me and as a result humans in general.  The original intent with the first two was raise them for release.  My husband wasn't following rehabber guidelines when I was at work and said he would have a heart attack if we let them go.

With Presto, I knew the circumstances would lead her to imprint on me. I was doing it alone.  When she became a fledgling, I placed her on the patio among the other sparrows (I feed 365 days a year outside).  

She sat there and looked at the other sparrows like they were aliens.  When she caught site of me through the glass storm door in the family room, she fluttered her feathers, like Mama :-)

So, when I call myself a Birdmama, I am not kidding.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise