Honored Contributor

BESIDES EBAY, WHERE HAVE YOU SOLD HANDBAGS?

I'm trying to advise a friend who has a slightly used Dooney Lily handbag.  She listed it on Ebay for what she thought was a good price, and never got a nibble.

Personally, I thought her price was a little high ($160) but she also used the Best Offer option.  No offers over almost the 6 months she had it listed.

So ..... can you think of any alternative sites  worth trying?   Never used Poshmark or Etsy .... would love suggestions.  TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: BESIDES EBAY, WHERE HAVE YOU SOLD HANDBAGS?

Someone on ebay is selling a new Dooney Lily for $170.  

Used items are usually priced what the ebay marketplace will pay.  That's often low.  

I suggest she looks on ebay to see what other sellers are pricing similar used Dooneys.  

Both Poshmark and Etsy are good options.  Other than that I can only think of Craigslist or take it to a consignment shop, but she won't get $160.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  I personally don't, but my friend sells them on Poshmark and loves it.  👜

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

I gave up on EBay because I had bags out there for months without selling. I would lower the price and still nothing. I did send some of them to ThreadUp and got some money from them but it really wasn't all that much. Now I just donate them and take it off my taxes. I just got sick of the hassle, people wanting something for nothing, people not paying, people pretending to be interested and then nothing. Just not worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

Would say , even in pristine condition  your friend listing it at $160 would be passed over by many . They would not even bother . Some list as an auction item  then many bidders bid the bag up to a market price $100-$70 . There are so many other handbags of  the same or better quality to chose from on Ebay. In my area there are local boards to list items for sale .

Trusted Contributor

We have a local consignment store that I have sold my Dooney's.  They do the work and I get a percentage.  For me it is the easiest way.  I hate dealing with the postage and having to deal with customers. 

Honored Contributor

I sold on eBay since 2003 and haven't sold in about 3 years (we moved and I just don't have the motivation).  I sold very high end bags, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, etc, and those bags garner the most interest and the best offers on eBay, BUT since we moved across country I don't have my connections to buy high end used at a good price and people here just don't care about bags like they did from So. Calif.   But I also sensed that was changing back then.  I think it's gotten pretty hard to sell 2nd hand handbags no matter their condition.  I would personally try local on-line garage sales and to keep the price within reason.  Good luck!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I don't think they list Dooney's but I have sold some bags to yoogi's closet.  I really like that site.  I have bought a few, too.  

Honored Contributor

I've never sold on eBay.  I have a terrific consignment store, with two locations, in my area.  I take my things to her.

She has people ship things to her to sell from all over the country.  She does Facebook live videos selling items, just about daily, an online site and two stores.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Local consignment shop that has nicer brand names.