Honored Contributor

Re: Are there ever any affordable handbags on anymore?

[ Edited ]

@Rosebud 06 wrote:

I use to buy Tignanello on QVC and Macy's also.  I could get good prices at Macy's when they had a clearance.  I have several, I also bought at qvc  when they use to have good prices, Have not bought any lately at either store,the prices have gone too high.

Quality, Isn't the same. Thankfully! Own several vintage Tignanello, Beautiful leather and interior. Stands the test of time. Hardware luxe! Yes indeed, Glad purchased long ago.
Valued Contributor

@LisaMofSLC  I agree, could have written this.  So expensive, Tignarello bags were always affordable.

Do not see them too often.  QVC needs a more affordable line.  B Makowsky  ( spelled name incorrectly)

was  a good line.  Think he is not doing bags any more.

Esteemed Contributor

No, there's not. That will be the day when I pay $150 or $200 for a Fossil handbag at Winners (Winners is owned by TJX, the parent company of T.J. Maxx and Marshall's).

Because the CDN dollar has tanked, stores have jacked up the prices of their handbag lines (that are all made in China). I am on a handbag diet -- I own enough bags that I am not going to spend on bags for the rest of the year.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Just like everything else , purses go out of style so what you pay $500 for now and think you'll have for years may go out of style in a short time. Next thing you know someone is oohing and aahing over finding it at Goodwill or a resale shop.

@151949

Seriously?   I really don't know what you're referring to, but as for "purses going out of style" ....  that is a new one for me!   

What are some examples of purses that are currently 
 "out of style"?

Honored Contributor

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

@Rosebud 06 wrote:

I use to buy Tignanello on QVC and Macy's also.  I could get good prices at Macy's when they had a clearance.  I have several, I also bought at qvc  when they use to have good prices, Have not bought any lately at either store,the prices have gone too high.

Quality, Isn't the same. Thankfully! Own several vintage Tignanello, Beautiful leather and interior. Stands the test of time. Hardware luxe! Yes indeed, Glad purchased long ago.

It's essentially not even the same brand... I have older bags from them and a couple of newer ones and there is no comparison between them. Some of their newer styles are appealing, but nothing about them says 'quality'.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

QVC used to be my go to place for handbags.  Not anymore.  I agree.  The prices are just ridiculous.  I miss the Maxx Bags and Kathy Van Zeeland bags.  I also go to Marshalls and TJ Maxx and can usually find a very reasonably priced, but quality bag.  QVC is losing a lot of customers by mainly focusing on these high priced bags.

Respected Contributor

It's all relative.

Yes, I am sure there are $2K-plus bags that have their 15 minutes. But if one has to worry about price tags of $500-plus, then one would pick a more classic style, since it is an investment. If price isn't an issue, one buys what one wants. 

Most of the time, bag trends circle around. I have been around enough to know that satchels, saddle bags, hobos and drawstrings have been worn and will continue to be worn.  Crossbody bags, also.  I take out bags that are over 15-years old and unless one looks for it, one wouldn't know.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LisaMofSLC

You can get some nice bags at 6pm also.

P.S.  Welcome to the Community

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

There are many places to shop other than QVC.  Sometimes people actually go into stores.  I often find the so-called "designer" handbags the Q sells, other places online at significant savings.  I recently got an Aimee Kestenberg bag on sale at her own website, and it may just be my favorite bag.  Sign up to be notified of sales.  I find some beautiful bags, Italian leather or man-made at Zulily.

I just saw those Italian bags on Zulily.........WOW!!! There were bags around $350 - $400 selling for $45 - $50 and some were less than that. They were one of a kind, beautiful bags, didn't know who the designer was. 

Respected Contributor

@cac140 wrote:

QVC used to be my go to place for handbags.  Not anymore.  I agree.  The prices are just ridiculous.  I miss the Maxx Bags and Kathy Van Zeeland bags.  I also go to Marshalls and TJ Maxx and can usually find a very reasonably priced, but quality bag.  QVC is losing a lot of customers by mainly focusing on these high priced bags.

Kathy van zeeland bags weren't leather but vinyl. I look leather bags that will last. You're right about being able to find bargains out there. I bought a great leather Michael kors bag at tj maxx for my mom eight or so years ago, and it still looks great with no wear. It was one of his squashy leather totes with vacchetta straps. And I got a new, wrapped Dooney florentine $458 florentine Barlow bag on eBay this summer for $180!!!