Honored Contributor

Re: Are there ever any affordable handbags on anymore?

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

Dooney and Burke is too high priced for me. I used to buy handbags off QVC and the competitor's channel. I still have my Etienne Aigner bag from many years ago. There used to be another company sold around the same time, can't recall the name. When did buying a handbag become so costly? Am I missing shows to more affordable brands?

@LisaMofSLC

"Affordable", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.  What YOU think is too pricey, someone else might consider too cheap.  

As far back as I can remember, there are some brands that are "outrageously" priced, but, fortunately,  there are many, many brands and materials to choose from.

Handbags are such a personal thing ..... and our wants and needs vary quite a bit!    

Please keep in mind ..... QVC isn't the only game in town. If you have a style you want, start searching on Ebay, Overstock, and a multitude of other sites that sell handbags. 

Another resource .... if you haven't already done so, be sure to connect with the gals on our Handbag message board.   They seem to pretty much know everything there is to know about handbags!    A real wealth of information! 

Super Contributor

The way I look at my investment in a quality handbag is there are 365 days in a year So for a dollar a day $365 dollars is great because a good bag lasts years . Same goes for shoes.
Honored Contributor

@Grace6663582  Everyone is different, I would not be happy having to carry the same purse every day for a year, so your plan would not work for me. I enjoy having a variety of bags, and changing them out with my mood.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One point that seems to be either intentionally or unintentionally obfuscated about good bags lasting would include the fact that because they last, one can switch into and out of them for years. Consequently, there would be no need to carry the same bag every day... Like everything else: food, clothes, furnishings, and on and on and on, individual choices are just that... individual. There is no right or wrong. The key for me, which I've learned too late, is that a reasonably sized wardrobe of bags really is adequate. There is no good reason to acquire scores and scores of them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Just like everything else , purses go out of style so what ypou pay $500 for now and think yiou'll have for years may go out of style in a short time. Next thing you know someone is oohing and aahing over finding it at Goodwill or a resale shop.

Respected Contributor

@LisaMofSLC

I think one of the names you are trying to think of is Medallion. Also MAXX NY bags. They at one time were very affordable. I have the same feeling at times, why have handbag prices gone through the roof. I love handbags, just ask my DH. My closet is full, but lately the prices are getting way out of hand. I am glad I bought when I did or I wouldn't have the nice collection I do have.

Regular Contributor

I use to buy Tignanello on QVC and Macy's also.  I could get good prices at Macy's when they had a clearance.  I have several, I also bought at qvc  when they use to have good prices, Have not bought any lately at either store,the prices have gone too high.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Just like everything else , purses go out of style so what ypou pay $500 for now and think yiou'll have for years may go out of style in a short time. Next thing you know someone is oohing and aahing over finding it at Goodwill or a resale shop.

I still occasionally use the first Dooney I bought in about 1980. I think the style was called "outback" and it is a classic black with tan trim  messenger/mail flap bag with crossbody strap, and it never seems to go out of style. I was wearing it in Manhattan last month, and my niece's daughter, who is 16, kept saying how much she liked it. And she rarely praises anything, haha! 

Honored Contributor

Most better bags are classics and never go out of style... If one foolishly chooses to go out and buy something trendy for big bucks that's on them... but then that would apply to anything. Not just handbags...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I've been using a basic black Stone Mountain purse for years. The design is perfect for me, and it looks great. The price was under $100.