Respected Contributor

Generally, I'd say yes. There are exceptions but mostly the bags are heavier than average.  IMO.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Some of my Dooney’s  are heavy.  That brass hardware isn’t weightless.

i have a few cross body bags that are lightweight.  I haven’t purchased a new bag for a couple of years because I already have too many as promised myself I wouldn’t.

But, I was looking at the Dooney “Barlow” and almost gave in and ordered.  Fortunately, I saw one in person while in Florida last winter. OMG it was huge anyway too heavy for me.

i have some that are over 20 years old, so they do last.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are Dooney bags heavy?

[ Edited ]

I don't buy any bag that is close to or over 2 lbs. By the time you put your things in, you're carrying 5-6 lbs. on one shoulder. I'm young and I can't do it anymore. I refuse.

The first thing I look at is price then weight. To me, it's not worth it. I have two DB bags I hardly use due to the weight. One I really love that I bought to go on interviews. The darn thing is so heavy with nothing in it. Such a waste IMO. 

DB hasn't prioritized making their bags lighter because they still sell. Over time, anyone carrying these heavy bags will feel it eventually. I had to stop due to nagging pain in my shoulder. 

~Live with Intention~
Contributor

Yes.  I am a huge Dooney fan and have over 40 bags.  They are, however, very heavy to carry.  I have several different leathers and some are lighter than others.  The heavist are the florentine leathers.  I love them and will continue to buy them, as they never wear out.  I have some bags that are over 20 years old.  If I out shopping for the day I just carry a smaller style.  I think there is a style and leather for everyone.  Dooney is simply the best.

Honored Contributor

@schorsch  I love Dooney’s and Cole Hann bags... I am a recovering bag addict.

Respected Contributor

Some are.  For some reason, I decided to order the florentine Logo Lock when it was on sale recently and received it today.  I was worried it would be too heavy and it is.  Now I'm sad because it is a truly beautiful bag.  The leather is wonderful feeling, but I've decided to send it back because it is probably too big of a bag for me anyway and due to the weight I know that I won't get my money's worth out of it.  

Honored Contributor

When I was young I never thought of the weight of a bag until my shoulder really started to hurt me.  Ever since I only buy lightweight bags.  I like Kate Spade bags.  Some are extremely light and others just lightweight but I have no problems with them and they offer excellent leather for the price.  However, I choose to buy them on sale with additional discounts.  Cat Wink  D&B bags are very heavy with the thick straps and hardware.  Dooney & Bourke is a definite NO for me.  Too heavy and the prices are too high.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: Are Dooney bags heavy?

[ Edited ]

Well ,I decided to go to ebay ,and I got another brand new Clever carraige bag

Its a bag she had on a couple of seasons ago. It is a pvc bag that is screen printed ,to look like a French Patisserie

Lots of people were watching it. It is still wrapped in the plastic protective  bag,and the  seller has 100%  star ratings. She has sold over 5,000

I am afraid Clever Carriage's time is running out at HSN. They don't seems to have to selection they used to

All the bags I have from them ,are all light weight, and unique. It's fun to have a  stash to choose from

Honored Contributor

I had one Dooney leather bag. It was a beautiful blue color. I always wanted a leather bag in a blue shade to wear with jeans. Unfortunately, it was very heavy. It had a few exterior pockets with hardware so I'm sure that contributed to it. I ended up selling the bag, because it was just too heavy. 

Respected Contributor

Depends on the bag. One cannot generalize. For instance, their Florentine bags have nice heft, but the Florentine Toscana bags are lighter. I never think about a bag's weight but I expect the quality l love to have some weight! Hope so. One exception is  Liebeskind bags, which are generally light. Why the concern about weight?