Trusted Contributor

Anyone recommend a satchel handbag similar to Tignanello?

I have had 3 of their bags in the past and have one currently that is slowly on it's demise as I've had it for so long. I love the brand and know it has been sold but love the quality of the satchel purses they made.  Does anybody know of another brand similar to Tignanello in style and price? 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Anyone recommend a satchel handbag similar to Tignanello?

I, too, loved the Tignanelo line.  However, i've found terrific organizer bags in the Liz Claiborn line at brick & mortar (rhymes w/J C Many).  I just can't work a purse that's one big open space!  I need the separations.  Hope to not get in trouble mentioning name brands, just looking to help if i can.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LuvmyLab  EIther online or at a store, check out some of the Valentina (not Valentino) bags often available at TJMaxx. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Dooney has a number of satchels.  You can find better prices online or TJ Maxx.  Dooneys are long lasting.  I have leather, nylon, and coated cotton styles.

Happy handbag shopping.

Respected Contributor

I was a Tignanello collector for many years.  Then they started (or I started realizing) that the Tig leather bags were not all leather.  The handles,  bottoms, straps, trim were often man made.  For me,  this was a deal breaker.

Now I'm a Dooney collector.  If it's a leather handbag and it's a Dooney,  it's all leather.   Of course,  they also make some very nice nylon and fabric handbags.  All have their place.  But there is no guessing.... you know what you are getting.  Although I'm a leather snob,  I must admit that Dooney nylon handbags with leather trim and handles are amazing quality.  I've added 2 Dooney nylon satchels to my collection of Dooneys.

When I learned I could get Dooney handbags at much less than list price,  I became a Dooney collector.  The vast majority of my handbags are Dooney, with a few other brands filling in for variety.  And no,  I don't need as many handbags as I have/buy.  Dooneys last and last and last.  I have no logical reason to have mulitples in a rainbow of colors.  

Between sales at department stores,  Dooney outlets, and I Love Dooney (the online outlet),  you can easily find many styles for half off (and sometimes even bigger sales).  You just need to look and keep checking for sales.  Returns at QVC and most department stores are easiest.  Prices at I Love Dooney and outlets are often lower.  I Love Dooney and the outlets generally accept returns,  but they are not the best places to buy if all you want to do is check something out and possilby return it.

And always check to be sure you understand the return policy,  no matter where you shop.

Check out styles in person in stores so you get to know the line and what works for you.  Also remember that measurements given on the Dooney and I Love Dooney site may be different than those on QVC or other online sites.  Not only do different brands measure differently,  but different retailers use different measurement 'rules' also.   After a while you get to understand what size/measurements work for you.  

Measure a bag you currently have and like,  for reference.   Measure across the bottom base (the length).  the depth of the bag across the base (the width), and the height at the center of the bag.   Also measure the length at the top and at the widest point and the height at the sides.   Some companies give the biggest measurement,  others like Dooney always measure specific areas of the bag (and their web site shows how they do it).  Strap and handle drop are also important depending upon how you carry a bag.

The weight of a bag can also be important to some people.  QVC is a good reference for that,  as well as some other sites.

What style Tig bag are you looking to replace?  If you can describe it or post an item # of picture,  you might get specific recommendations for alternatives.  I probably own most Dooney satchel style handbags made in the last 10 years.  I'm a satchel handbag wearer.... hand held only for me,  but many also have shoulder or cross body straps.

Respected Contributor

Of course QVC has easy-pay,  which is helpful.