Valued Contributor

Anybody save and use "vintage" handbags?

I have many handbags.  Not top designer status bags, but most of my handbags are Dooney, a few Oryany, a lot of Lug for travel/everyday, etc.  I have carefully saved and stored many of my old handbags that are in tip top condition.  I have a Susan Gail bag, B.Makowsky, Barr + Barr, Perlina, Sharif, and believe it or not even a few Kathy Van Zeelands that I liked back in the day before her stuff got so trashy looking.

I'm going on a trip and I needed a soft black packable handbag that wasn't a Lug. (I'll be bringing a Lug tote). I really could not find what I wanted on line,  so I went into my storage and found an old Ganson woven bag that I will be using. I forgot all about these woven leather bags that were so popular.  I guess it pays to shop in your closet once and a while.  The only downside to these vintage bags is they do not have cell phone pockets but they may have other zip pockets that can be used as one.

Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody save and use "vintage" handbags?

I have several extremely vintage Judith Leibers that I cherish and use. I also use my vintage Gucci bucket bag and I have some very vintage bags from the 50’s, and 60’s

Respected Contributor

I have 3 Coach bags from 1984.  They are made better than the new Coach.  Better thicker leather.  

Honored Contributor

I don't think those brands become vintage when they are 20 or 25 years old, they are just older handbags.  I would reserve the word vintage for high end bags and while I have a couple of Dooney's that must be 20 years old (I still carry them), I don't have any vintage bags.  I did have one, I had a LV bag that I splurged on way, way back when I first returned to work and got my first promotion.  It's a LV Speedy and I gave it to daughter #2 a few years ago.  She loved it and was forever borrowing it so I had the handle repaired  (it was fraying) and gave it to her as a birthday present.  I think of it as my "what the heck was I thinking" bag.  

Respected Contributor

Vintage is commonly used to refer to handbags and clothing that are at least 25 years old.  After 100 years the word antique is used.  The brand of the bag or clothing has nothing to do with being able to refer to an item as vintage.

And yes, I have many vintage handbags.  My favorites are the "finds" i have from the 1940's and 1950's.

Esteemed Contributor

I find that the Pursefection insert is great for updating the interior of older bags which still look good and have lots of wear life left.  However, Pursefection only works in medium and large bags.  For that reason I generally only use my small vintage/aged bags when I'm going out and only need readers, keys, and a zippered pocket for my ID and a credit card, a few dollars, and a lipstick.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

omg .........

I am a handbag snob!!!!

I have them all!!!!!   Since QVC began................and more!

I only buy the  BEST.......most expensive ones........sadly , not to really  be a snob ,I just LOVE them all <3

Valued Contributor

Well I guess they are not actually vintage but they are older handbags brands not being made now and certainly out of style as a brand but sometimes they were nice handbags and can serve a purpose now.  I notice a lot of these older handbags are being sold on ebay and the like.  Somebody must like them.  

Trusted Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I have 3 Coach bags from 1984.  They are made better than the new Coach.  Better thicker leather.  

@luvmybeetle I also have several leather Coach bags.  Mine are from the early 1990's -- I agree, the leather is so much nicer.  Plus the styles were much more classy.  These will always be in style.

Esteemed Contributor

I have many purses, a lot vintage. I put some in a consignment store. One of the purses that sold was an Antiene Agneir (sp). I got $100 for it and a Louis V didn't sell!  I hate to get rid of them but should!