Honored Contributor

Ahdorned straps, game changer!

I find myself with a lower spine condition that sometimes causes weakness or leg pain when I walk a lot or on unlevel surfaces.   Sometimes I use a cane, I have a sparkly gold collapsible cane because I'm still a fashionista.  LOL.   My cane does not fit in a small crossbody.  A few weeks ago, I fell because I didn't have my cane.  I have a large handbag collection but, mostly totes and satchels.  No shoulder  or crossbody bags.  So, I bought an Ahdorned strap, hoping it would work one  of my bags.  It works on almost all of my bags!   It's nice and wide and comfortable on my shoulder.  I can convert all my midsized bags  and tote bags to crossbody bags.  So I can carry my cane with me all the time.  And when I use the cane, both hands are free.  I  know, I sound silly raving about a strap for a bag but it was a game changer for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ahdorned straps, game changer!

Safety first.............don't leave your cane............home alone

Esteemed Contributor

That's great!  Small things that are life-changing are a joy.

The "hurrycane" collapsible is a nice option, too, but I don't think it comes in a sparkly gold!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree Happy you have found a solution...and you might have offered valuable information for someone who has a similar need.  Grateful that you shared.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree   Take good care of yourself.  May I ask where you purchased your fashionista cane?  Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Anything that makes our lives easier is worth raving about!  Enjoy the arm freedom!  Priceless!

Valued Contributor

I have spinal stenosis and my balance is off. I, too use a cane when going out. I have a couple of hurry canes, but I have found if someone bumps the cane or I kick it, it collapses immediately. Not good! I bought a straight cane at Walgreen's (polka dots) and that works so much better.

My sweet niece and my darling daughter have made me multiple cane covers to match my outfits. They use a straight piece of material closed with velcro tabs. I love them. I get lots of comments from other people when I'm out an about.

Honored Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

I have spinal stenosis and my balance is off. I, too use a cane when going out. I have a couple of hurry canes, but I have found if someone bumps the cane or I kick it, it collapses immediately. Not good! I bought a straight cane at Walgreen's (polka dots) and that works so much better.

My sweet niece and my darling daughter have made me multiple cane covers to match my outfits. They use a straight piece of material closed with velcro tabs. I love them. I get lots of comments from other people when I'm out an about.

Cane covers! That is a great idea!  Spinal stenosis is what I have too.  Sometimes I need a cane, sometimes I don't.  Now I can tuck my folding cane into whatever bag I am carrying and never be without it.  My folding cane is sturdy, I have no problems with it at all.  I can't explain it well but the mechanism is such that it can't fold on its own.  My physical therapist recommended the brand.  I accidentally left my straight cane in the shopping cart at Walmart.  I'm still mad about that.  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree For when you are looking for something new, Amazon has lots of clip on handbag straps, different lengths (adjustable) and materials, great prices.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been waiting and waiting for the righty Ahdorned bag. Love the guitar straps. Thanks for the Amazon info on clip on straps.