Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What does buying a car have to do with whether or not that purse is worth $500?

It has to do with the fact that "insane" is a pretty harsh term to use for something just because of it's cost.  It implies that someone buying it is "insane." It is bashing to use terms like that.  There are polite ways to say things. . . And cars like purses are valued biy the individual.  What is "insane" to some may be a big bargain to others.

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Value is  relative.  I get the same comments when I carry my LV handbag.  It's coated canvas, "you paid what"? , "it's not even leather".  I love that bag and carry it a lot.  No matter what you pay, if you get the use out of it and love it, then it was worth it for you.

The same goes for cars, you can get to point B from point A with a number of cars and more expensive does not always mean better, its what you like and whats a value to you. 

I drive a Ford Mustang but could drive a more expensive car, if I wanted, its all about personal preference, taste, what you can afford and what makes you happy.  Because something is not a value to me does not make it any less of a value to someone else.

Deb

@SFGIANTSGIRL  Good points.  I do believe higher priced items are that, because of the quality.  I'd purchase an expensive car before ever considering an expensive purse.  Certain brands I wouldn't pay a $1.00, other brands I'd pay whatever the cost.

I would get too bored with the same bag year after year, justifying my cost.

That's me.  Others may do the opposite.

@3suwm5  And I am one of them Smiley Happy

My car is a 1989 white Firebird...still going strong. I have no interest in a new vehicle whatsoever. I have had other cars in my lifetime...all bought used...never new...a 69' Chevelle Malibou, a 1973 red/black top AMC Javelin and a 1981 black Firebird. I never paid over $8,999 for a car (the 1 yr old white Firebird bought in 1990), The other 3 were bought for between $1,200 and $2,500.

However, I do buy expensive handbags...90% of them for 30-40% off retail through the Q's 'as is', EBay or a terrific holiday sale.

So I could not be more polar opposite of your choices Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  Your vehicles have been bargains for sure, that's good.  For the record, I don't know where the underline and bold came from.  I don't know how to do that on here.  I only know how to make capital letters.  So, that came from someone else.??? 

@3suwm5  I am the one who highlighted those points you made because that was what I was specifically refering/replying to Smiley Happy

As for them being 'bargains'...well, those were the going rates for those vehicles during the years I bought them. I don't know how old you are, but I am nearing 57 Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  That's funny, shows how much I know about the extra gadgets on here.  I've got you by a few years, you're a youngster dear.Woman Happy

@3suwm5  Oh... Well, at least it's fun being refered to as a youngster! That won't happen again anytime soon...LOL

As for new cars, I never sat in one in my entire life, believe it or not. Now that vehicles come with all the 'extra tech gadgets', if my ole Bessy ever died on me, I would have to look for vehicles that still had manual roll down windows and no unnecessary tech stuff on the dashboard to distract me Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@151949 wrote:

What does buying a car have to do with whether or not that purse is worth $500?

It has to do with the fact that "insane" is a pretty harsh term to use for something just because of it's cost.  It implies that someone buying it is "insane." It is bashing to use terms like that.  There are polite ways to say things. . . And cars like purses are valued biy the individual.  What is "insane" to some may be a big bargain to others.

I wrote it to mean that QVC was insane to charge that but of course, it was all misconstrued here - which is normal for this board.

Honored Contributor

I was finished with D&B when their bags started costing over 200.00. D&B will charge what people are willing to pay, I don't care how good the leather is, it's a bag. The bags are not even made in this country!

Frequent Contributor

First time poster here but have recently started my slight obsession with Dooney bags. I will say this about the shipping.....yes, shipping is free from Dooney/I love Dooney, however, you have to pay to return them. I just returned a bag yesterday to I lOve Dooney and it cost me $22. So, even with a $12 ship charge from QVC and their Q return label of $7 I am still ahead of the game. Plus, when returning with a Q label there is no hassle once it hits the post office if you have issues with lost shipments/returns they are very quick to either replace or credit. At least in my expeiencxe. 

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Same-old, same-old, and I'm not referring to any handbags.

@suzyQ3Woman LOL Yes, drama and always stirring the pot.

I just know this is a man that likes to get us women going.

Years ago, the same thing happened and went on forever. Finally, the crazy coot went away. 

Just pay attention to some of the wording and it sounds more like a man than a woman. That is how some of us figured out the person causing drama was a man.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The same pe3ople who are all gaga over these web strrap bags will put down a tig bag for having PVC trim. I'd take PVC over webbing any day. I have also often read the put down of the web straps on Travelon bags here on this board by the dooney crowd.Don't hear that now that the oh so perfect D&B is using webbing.

Why are you angry! I did not even know there was a " Dooney crowd." I buy many brands. I had no idea that there are people who get upset about a handbag! There is lots of choice for everyone, as I have pointed out again and again, It does not ever bother me if someone doesn't like something that I like. Why would I care? Stop taking things personally. I thought we were just sharing opinions and experience. Nothing personal. 

p.s. I forgot earlier to add that the strap is natural, cotton and leather, which not only plays into the guitar-strap and the messenger trend but, more important, wears like iron. Tignanello's cheap vinyl trims do not.

@libbyannE But this person wouldn't ever buy a used bag from a thrift store. No matter what the price.

None of us know when we order or even buy a bag in the store, that it hasn't been brought back or returned.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@151949 wrote:

This thread has nothing to do with what people pay for a purse - who gives a hoot what you are willing to pay!!!! It is about the lack of value  in paying $500 for a purse that they could not even put a leather handle on. IT HAS A COTTON WEBBING STRAP. Seriously, don't you expect a leather handle on your $500 purse ? It is about getting or not getting value for your money.

And yet the fact remains that no one person gets to be the arbiter of what others consider 'value'...

She thinks she can determine "value" better than anyone else on this board. 

It gets tiresome...

Honored Contributor

I think the webbed strap is a cool look, and it's also very comfortable to carry whether on the shoulder or cross-body.

I really don't see why that's an issue with the price.  Not understanding that logic...

Contributor

Wow! Just came upon this thread- all I can say is that if I could afford it I would so buy that bag- the size and shape are exactly what I have been looking for. However, I have never spent that much on a purse and probably never will. It is gorgeous though!