Honored Contributor

Re: Absolutely insane

[ Edited ]

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

One word.  STATUS.  And guess what?  There are other purses out there that look exactly like them and don't cost even half of that price. 

Funny thing is - I just bought something from Macy's that cost me $50 - it was a sachel that looked identical to the TSV that was on the other day for D&B (original price was $200...marked down to $75 - was on sale for one day only) - same bells and whistles as D&B'- and it's made by another designer.  Yeah, no patents on D&B.  Lol.  So you can get their style designs by another. 

I know the hosts like to play that status card, but I don't buy handbags for whatever status they might or might not impart... And, if I did, while Dooney is a nicer 'middle of the road' brand, we aren't talking Prada here... More to the point and with no intent to sound snide, depite similarities, the trained eye of a 'student' of handbags can almost always look at a bag and know what brand it is and what brand it isn't... I'd also note that 'style' and 'status' are not interchageable...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Frequent Contributor

Dooney with sweatpants- don't care!!

Honored Contributor

I love Dooney, but believe me when I tell you, there is no status involved.  Who is impressed with a Dooney? NO ONE!!!!

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I love Dooney, but believe me when I tell you, there is no status involved.  Who is impressed with a Dooney? NO ONE!!!!

I agree.  I have purchased three...gave two away and am happy with the one I have left.  I like it but also like many of my other bags.

And as for the webbed strap issue that inspired this thread....that's a non-issue for me.  It seems to fit for that bag.  (not one I want for me, but overall, I like the look and dont find it to be a bad "value for the money")

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sister Golden Hair

Bingo. I buy for the leather. I am still carrying older Dooneys and still carrying my coach Carley vacchetta equestrian bag, which cost me $500 about ten years ago! I don't buy for the name but for the quality of leather and craftsmanship. 

Respected Contributor

@faeriemoon

Yes! Dooneys are not pricey or impressive in the handbag world. I buy them because they suit my style and are a great value. They are not going to impress anyone who is into designer bags costing thousands. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

One word.  STATUS.  And guess what?  There are other purses out there that look exactly like them and don't cost even half of that price. 

Funny thing is - I just bought something from Macy's that cost me $50 - it was a sachel that looked identical to the TSV that was on the other day for D&B (original price was $200...marked down to $75 - was on sale for one day only) - same bells and whistles as D&B'- and it's made by another designer.  Yeah, no patents on D&B.  Lol.  So you can get their style designs by another. 

I know the hosts like to play that status card, but I don't buy handbags for whatever status they might or might not impart... And, if I did, while Dooney is nicer 'middle of the road' brand, we aren't talking Prada here... More to the point and with no intent to sound snide, depite similarities, the trained eye of a 'student' of handbags can almost always look at a bag and know what brand it is and what brand it isn't... I'd also note that 'style' and 'status' are not interchageable...

@stevieb

So true! Well put.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair

Bingo. I buy for the leather. I am still carrying older Dooneys and still carrying my coach Carley vacchetta equest Ian bag, which cost me $500 about ten years ago! I don't buy for the name but for the quality of leather and craftsmanship. 

@libbyannE Unless someone is really into handbag brands, no one will even notice.

I was proud of finding a Frye and Cole Haan bags at my favorite Magic Shop (that's what my friends in the handbag forum call itWoman Very Happy) but my sister-in-law had never even heard of those two brands.

Because I love handbags, I always look at what women are carrying. And their shoes.

If it is something that I like, I will tell them that I like their handbag.

Back in the 70's, I always bought good leather bags because you could take them to have redyed at the shoe repair. This sounds funny now.

My Mother carried mostly fabric purses because she had them dyed to match her heels. and both matched her dress that she made herself. And hats to match with white gloves.

Such fond memories of my MotherHeart

Respected Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair

Bingo. I buy for the leather. I am still carrying older Dooneys and still carrying my coach Carley vacchetta equest Ian bag, which cost me $500 about ten years ago! I don't buy for the name but for the quality of leather and craftsmanship. 

@libbyannE Unless someone is really into handbag brands, no one will even notice.

I was proud of finding a Frye and Cole Haan bags at my favorite Magic Shop (that's what my friends in the handbag forum call itWoman Very Happy) but my sister-in-law had never even heard of those two brands.

Because I love handbags, I always look at what women are carrying. And their shoes.

If it is something that I like, I will tell them that I like their handbag.

Back in the 70's, I always bought good leather bags because you could take them to have redyed at the shoe repair. This sounds funny now.

My Mother carried mostly fabric purses because she had them dyed to match her heels. and both matched her dress that she made herself. And hats to match with white gloves.

Such fond memories of my MotherHeart

@Sister Golden Hair

It's sweet to hear about your mother. I am old enough to remember getting dyed-to-match peau de soie shoes for prom! I have older Cole Haan shoes and Ghurka bags that I still carry and adore. And decades-old Frye boots that refuse to die and are great for mucking around the stable.i still carry a really cool Kilim and leather bag From Turkey 20 years ago. Good is good, and it lasts.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE I grew up riding horses and mucked a lotWoman LOL

It was also good to buy a quality saddleWoman Very Happy