Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 - Not to derail this thread (well, maybe) but you were going to come back and review the George Foreman grill after you'd had a chance to use it.  I just saw your comment that you weren't happy with it.  Care to tell me why?  I've seen a number of not complimentary reviews on it, but I trust your judgment, so I'd like to hear what you think.

Honored Contributor

Sorry about that, @Venezia. I remembered that I had promised someone I would review it; only problem was that I forgot who that person was. :-)

Just now, I went to the product page to C/P my review, but the page says "sold out" and no reviews remain.

Basically, the heat function was not very even and not very hot, including the broiler. The broiler was okay for melting cheese on a sandwich, but when we tried broiling meat -- didn't look broiled; looked gray.

The waffle plate took forever to heat and made somewhat soft waffles. We like ours crisp and love the irons we already had. Same problem with pancakes on the griddle.

The part where you attach the plates was rusty after two uses. The cord was ridiculously short. In some kitchens, that might make it unusable.

The drip tray, as always on a GF, is in the front. It was a mess after those gray lamb chops.

So we sent it back (at QVC's expense) and bought a Cuisinart GR-4N and like it very much. It's much more thoughtfully designed (e.g. the drip tray goes in through the side and is then integrated).

We purchased it on Jet because we had courtesy credit there for $100 and because their price was the lowest. I think it was fifty something dollars and free ship, so we still have credit to spare.

HTH, and sorry again.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 - Thank you!  That basically sums up the other things I've read about it.  I'm glad I waited; I'll keep on using our current GF grill until it conks out and will then check out the one you've mentioned.

Honored Contributor

Obviously, there are people who would not only pay that price but think  it's a terrfic price.  If you want to see what designer bags go for, take a stroll though Neiman Marcus some time. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@clangle wrote:

Actually, I find it more irksome that they can't throw in free S&H for a $500 purse that probably weighs all of a couple pounds at most.

I agree. Shipping is free from the Dooney site. So, if the same bag is at both QVC and Dooney direct for the same price, as is often the case, I have no choice but to buy direct.

@libbyannE @stevieb

The big difference, for me, is that Dooney will not accept a return for a bag you have used. Let alone used for a month. Q takes them back, no questions. Free shipping by Dooney isn't worth being being to dry run the bag in real life for weeks.

@1Professor  I will agree with you that the Q is quite generous in that regard. I am probably an oddball and I have only returned one handbag ever...and it was back to Macy's. I never even used it. I just thought it was cheap looking and the stitching was poor. It was a plaid satchel with red patent leather trim. Some folks return the handbags they buy more than they keep, so I can't relate to that.

However, I do wish the Q's return dept would clamp down on those who return any items that are not what they should be...

ie...handbags missing the accessories/straps. I think if the Q checked to make sure all the accessories/straps were still with the bag, and if they aren't to charge the returnee. No doubt it's possible that the bags come with missing accessories once in a great while, but I do believe 95-99% of the time, folks are 'stealing' the pieces either for themselves possibly to customize another handbag with the strap or to sell the accessories on EBay...shameful. So another way the Q is 'generous'...IMO, partly no doubt that the Q can't 'prove' the accessories/straps weren't their initially.

I have been quite lucky with the Q's 'as is' and never had missing accessories. I steered clear of those bags that came with accessories (only bought those on EBay) and never got a bag missing a strap...only a dust bag, which I'm fine with since I use pillowcases anyway.

On the other hand, I have had more than one experience when I bought a set of 'as is' clothes, the top was one size and the pants were another size. I do not believe the Q made the mistake, but someone bought 2 sets and made their own custom set for themselves!!! Bold as brass I say...someday, with that kind of behavior, they will get caught...karma.

Agree! As I said, I would never use something and then return it. To be honest, I thought QVC 's policy meant you could take your time to decide, not that you could use it! I guess I have too much respect for the product and for other consumers to knowingly return something that I may have used and, heaven forbid, gotten a scratch on.  QVC policy should state that you can only return an item in original, unused, unworn condition.

@libbyannE, actually they make it very clear on-air that you can use a product for 30 days and return it. It's one of their big selling points. I am so glad for that, too, because otherwise we would have been stuck with last George Foreman grill -- very bad in several ways.

Yes, they do say they. I just wouldn't do it! That's how I grew up. But, to your point, it IS allowed. Tx for clarifying!

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The same pe3ople who are all gaga over these web strrap bags will put down a tig bag for having PVC trim. I'd take PVC over webbing any day. I have also often read the put down of the web straps on Travelon bags here on this board by the dooney crowd.Don't hear that now that the oh so perfect D&B is using webbing.

Why are you angry! I did not even know there was a " Dooney crowd." I buy many brands. I had no idea that there are people who get upset about a handbag! There is lots of choice for everyone, as I have pointed out again and again, It does not ever bother he if someone doesn't like something that I like. Why would I care? Stop taking things personally. I thought we were just sharing opinions and experience. Nothing personal. 

p.s. I forgot earlier to add that the strap is natural, cotton and leather, which not only plays into the guitar-strap and the messenger trend but, more important, wears like iron. Tignanello's cheap vinyl trims do not.

I can think of one poster who is OBSESSED with handbags and what they cost, and who takes great pride in being mean about it.  They like to start a ruckus on these boards and always have. Oh and by the way, it's FINE when they buy expensive stuff, because they always come here to brag about it.  

It has been a pattern for many years, you can ask most of the old-timers around here how it goes.   It's just a game they like to play.

Trusted Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@151949 wrote:

$468 + tax & S&H for a purse with a strap made of cotton webbing.

It should cost more. The quality of the older and new Dooney florentine bags is amazing for the price. I have three if the newer Florentines. If you look at luxury bags, you see that these could cost three times that amount. Dooneys are a bargain in the handbag world.

@libbyannE  Maybe for some people's 'handbag world'.  Certainly not mine.  I would rather spend $$ on things that really interest me, like a plane trip to visit family for one.

Trusted Contributor

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Value is  relative.  I get the same comments when I carry my LV handbag.  It's coated canvas, "you paid what"? , "it's not even leather".  I love that bag and carry it a lot.  No matter what you pay, if you get the use out of it and love it, then it was worth it for you.

The same goes for cars, you can get to point B from point A with a number of cars and more expensive does not always mean better, its what you like and whats a value to you. 

I drive a Ford Mustang but could drive a more expensive car, if I wanted, its all about personal preference, taste, what you can afford and what makes you happy.  Because something is not a value to me does not make it any less of a value to someone else.

Deb

@SFGIANTSGIRL  Good points.  I do believe higher priced items are that, because of the quality.  I'd purchase an expensive car before ever considering an expensive purse.  Certain brands I wouldn't pay a $1.00, other brands I'd pay whatever the cost.

I would get too bored with the same bag year after year, justifying my cost.

That's me.  Others may do the opposite.

Trusted Contributor

@makena wrote:

I would not call another person "insane" for their decision to purchase something.  We are all passionate about something.  Placing a name on a person for purchasing something you choose not to sounds like envy to me.

@makena  I believe the OP called the materials used on the handle of the bag, insane, as compared to $$ to purchase.  She didn't call anyone insane.

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@clangle wrote:

Actually, I find it more irksome that they can't throw in free S&H for a $500 purse that probably weighs all of a couple pounds at most.

I agree. Shipping is free from the Dooney site. So, if the same bag is at both QVC and Dooney direct for the same price, as is often the case, I have no choice but to buy direct.

@libbyannE @stevieb

The big difference, for me, is that Dooney will not accept a return for a bag you have used. Let alone used for a month. Q takes them back, no questions. Free shipping by Dooney isn't worth being being to dry run the bag in real life for weeks.

Hey there @1Professor. Great to see you !

I think this is where individual differences come into play. For me, the Dooney deal would be the better option because I don't tend to 'test drive' a bag. I pretty much know when I open it whether or not I'll keep it... So the spectre of twelve bucks to ship and seven bucks to return to QVC is quite a deterrent for me... Twenty bucks simply to take a look isn't going to work for me... And truly, I think this is the point many of us are trying to make... It all comes down to individual choice, what works best for us each of us as individuals, and how each of us defines 'value'. You get that, I get that, lots of folks get that, but it appears maybe some percieve their concept of 'value' as the 'correct' one...

Woman Wink

@stevieb  Once again here, I believe the OP was suggesting that the material used on the handle of the bag (she referred as insane), didn't warrant the price.  Had the material used on the handle been leather, she wouldn't have been concerned with the price at all.  Not that her value system was better or worse than anyone else.