Respected Contributor

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Call me insane, I bought and love one of these bags.

http://www.qvc.com/Dooney-&-Bourke-Florentine-Toscana-Side-Zip-Satchel.product.A283095.html?sc=A2830...

Deb

I have two of the florentine Toscana side zip bags and one of the related satchels. They are beautiful, artisan-crafted bags. Truly. I understand if the bags don't suit someone's taste, if course, but the complaints about price are just silly. These are  amazing quality for the money and they don't scream the brand. Very cool, subtle, chic.

Respected Contributor

Re: Absolutely insane

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

I only need something to carry things around so a purse isn't a fashion statement.  For me it is absolutely insane but many things I will pay a high price for many will not.  It's different for everybody so no need for anyone to put others down for what they buy and like!! 

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am happy with the jeans I wear, which are not expensive, but some people pay hundreds for a pair. No problem. Some women buy pricey shoes, while others  are happy with budget finds. Great! My husband got his first bmw when he was in college in 1971 before anyone knew what they were and .he won't buy anything else. Others are happy with a cheaper brand. It is all about buying what you love and splurging on what matters to you! I respect that we are all different with different priorities. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This thread has nothing to do with what people pay for a purse - who gives a hoot what you are willing to pay!!!! It is about the lack of value  in paying $500 for a purse that they could not even put a leather handle on. IT HAS A COTTON WEBBING STRAP. Seriously, don't you expect a leather handle on your $500 purse ? It is about getting or not getting value for your money.

And yet the fact remains that no one person gets to be the arbiter of what others consider 'value'...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Value is  relative.  I get the same comments when I carry my LV handbag.  It's coated canvas, "you paid what"? , "it's not even leather".  I love that bag and carry it a lot.  No matter what you pay, if you get the use out of it and love it, then it was worth it for you.

The same goes for cars, you can get to point B from point A with a number of cars and more expensive does not always mean better, its what you like and whats a value to you. 

I drive a Ford Mustang but could drive a more expensive car, if I wanted, its all about personal preference, taste, what you can afford and what makes you happy.  Because something is not a value to me does not make it any less of a value to someone else.

Deb

Precisely...

Last year, I bought a gorgeous Lauren leather bag it has leather handles and a heavy canvas strap. The retail price of the bag was over five bills, though I was fortunate to find it for a lot less. When I look at the bag, I see the gestalt of the bag, not just the canvas strap... To me, it was worth what I paid...

As for 'value' I'm of the ilk that thinks there's very little these days that is objectively 'worth' what we are asked to pay...

Respected Contributor

I would not call another person "insane" for their decision to purchase something.  We are all passionate about something.  Placing a name on a person for purchasing something you choose not to sounds like envy to me.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@clangle wrote:

Actually, I find it more irksome that they can't throw in free S&H for a $500 purse that probably weighs all of a couple pounds at most.

I agree. Shipping is free from the Dooney site. So, if the same bag is at both QVC and Dooney direct for the same price, as is often the case, I have no choice but to buy direct.

@libbyannE @stevieb

The big difference, for me, is that Dooney will not accept a return for a bag you have used. Let alone used for a month. Q takes them back, no questions. Free shipping by Dooney isn't worth being being to dry run the bag in real life for weeks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@clangle wrote:

Actually, I find it more irksome that they can't throw in free S&H for a $500 purse that probably weighs all of a couple pounds at most.

I agree. Shipping is free from the Dooney site. So, if the same bag is at both QVC and Dooney direct for the same price, as is often the case, I have no choice but to buy direct.

@libbyannE @stevieb

The big difference, for me, is that Dooney will not accept a return for a bag you have used. Let alone used for a month. Q takes them back, no questions. Free shipping by Dooney isn't worth being being to dry run the bag in real life for weeks.

Hey there @1Professor. Great to see you !

I think this is where individual differences come into play. For me, the Dooney deal would be the better option because I don't tend to 'test drive' a bag. I pretty much know when I open it whether or not I'll keep it... So the spectre of twelve bucks to ship and seven bucks to return to QVC is quite a deterrent for me... Twenty bucks simply to take a look isn't going to work for me... And truly, I think this is the point many of us are trying to make... It all comes down to individual choice, what works best for each of us as individuals, and how each of us defines 'value'. You get that, I get that, lots of folks get that, but it appears maybe some percieve their concept of 'value' as the 'correct' one...

Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

$468 + tax & S&H for a purse with a strap made of cotton webbing.

Maybe I didn't read everything, but I've noticed a lot of threads recently where people bought things like handbags, new cars and other items and people pretty much told them congratulations on their new toy without evaluating what is "insane" and not "insane" for someone to buy.

Wouldn't that be nicer than slamming how much things cost, thereby implying that someone buying this would be making a mistake and "insane"?  How much is too much?  Should we label certain new vehicles as "insane" items?  

Seems like these "can you believe the price" topics are getting old and serving no purpose since all of us have different incomes, wants, needs, and splurges.  What's your point in calling this "insane?"

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@1Professor wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@clangle wrote:

@libbyannE @stevieb

Hi! I would never use a bag and return it. To me, it should be returned in pristine unused condition, but I know QVC allows it. Department stores don't accept used items back, unless there is a flaw in the garment. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@september wrote:

@151949 wrote:

$468 + tax & S&H for a purse with a strap made of cotton webbing.

Aren't you the same poster who has started several threads about how much you just paid for your new car?

some people might think that amount of money for a car is too much.  We are all adults and are capable of deciding what to spend our own money on.  

Yes, I did and my new car is VALUE FOR THE MONEY. It isn't some cheap substitute for value and then they try to convince you it is a trend or it's beautiful - that strap RUINS an otherwise gorgeous purse.

Well, to me the car you bought isn't a good value, but I congratulated you on it because you were thrilled about it.  Why should any of us agree what is a good value, so what is the point of discussing that in terms of "insane?"  Someone sees something THEY like, why rain on their parade?  Who gets any fun out of that?  Surely the poster doesn't, the buyer doesn't, so why go there?  I'd really like to know the answer to that one.