Respected Contributor

@3suwm5 Thank you for correcting me and setting me straight.Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@1Professor wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@clangle wrote:

Actually, I find it more irksome that they can't throw in free S&H for a $500 purse that probably weighs all of a couple pounds at most.

I agree. Shipping is free from the Dooney site. So, if the same bag is at both QVC and Dooney direct for the same price, as is often the case, I have no choice but to buy direct.

@libbyannE @stevieb

The big difference, for me, is that Dooney will not accept a return for a bag you have used. Let alone used for a month. Q takes them back, no questions. Free shipping by Dooney isn't worth being being to dry run the bag in real life for weeks.

Hey there @1Professor. Great to see you !

I think this is where individual differences come into play. For me, the Dooney deal would be the better option because I don't tend to 'test drive' a bag. I pretty much know when I open it whether or not I'll keep it... So the spectre of twelve bucks to ship and seven bucks to return to QVC is quite a deterrent for me... Twenty bucks simply to take a look isn't going to work for me... And truly, I think this is the point many of us are trying to make... It all comes down to individual choice, what works best for us each of us as individuals, and how each of us defines 'value'. You get that, I get that, lots of folks get that, but it appears maybe some percieve their concept of 'value' as the 'correct' one...

Woman Wink

@stevieb  Once again here, I believe the OP was suggesting that the material used on the handle of the bag (she referred as insane), didn't warrant the price.  Had the material used on the handle been leather, she wouldn't have been concerned with the price at all.  Not that her value system was better or worse than anyone else.

@3suwm5 My post in this instance was comparing the relative advantages of purchasing a Dooney handbag directly from Dooney versus from QVC... As a point of fact, while I do like nicer handbags, I haven't bought one in a while and have pretty much given up Dooney altogether.

Smiley Wink

I agree with you on value systems and hence that what works for one might not work for another...  And no, for the most part, overall, I don't care for the strap on the bag in question, but that said, I'm not sure we agree on the OP's original intent. Ostensibly, it was to comment on the price of this handbag, given the fabric strap, but it seems there have been quite a few threads where this discussion comes up and I think the price some folks elect to pay for handbags is very much a part of those discussions... And, if memory serves, the price some pay is often commented upon by the OP...

Woman Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Value is  relative.  I get the same comments when I carry my LV handbag.  It's coated canvas, "you paid what"? , "it's not even leather".  I love that bag and carry it a lot.  No matter what you pay, if you get the use out of it and love it, then it was worth it for you.

The same goes for cars, you can get to point B from point A with a number of cars and more expensive does not always mean better, its what you like and whats a value to you. 

I drive a Ford Mustang but could drive a more expensive car, if I wanted, its all about personal preference, taste, what you can afford and what makes you happy.  Because something is not a value to me does not make it any less of a value to someone else.

Deb

@SFGIANTSGIRL  Good points.  I do believe higher priced items are that, because of the quality.  I'd purchase an expensive car before ever considering an expensive purse.  Certain brands I wouldn't pay a $1.00, other brands I'd pay whatever the cost.

I would get too bored with the same bag year after year, justifying my cost.

That's me.  Others may do the opposite.

@3suwm5  And I am one of them Smiley Happy

My car is a 1989 white Firebird...still going strong. I have no interest in a new vehicle whatsoever. I have had other cars in my lifetime...all bought used...never new...a 69' Chevelle Malibou, a 1973 red/black top AMC Javelin and a 1981 black Firebird. I never paid over $8,999 for a car (the 1 yr old white Firebird bought in 1990), The other 3 were bought for between $1,200 and $2,500.

However, I do buy expensive handbags...90% of them for 30-40% off retail through the Q's 'as is', EBay or a terrific holiday sale.

So I could not be more polar opposite of your choices Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

What does buying a car have to do with whether or not that purse is worth $500?

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@september wrote:

@151949 wrote:

$468 + tax & S&H for a purse with a strap made of cotton webbing.

Aren't you the same poster who has started several threads about how much you just paid for your new car?

some people might think that amount of money for a car is too much.  We are all adults and are capable of deciding what to spend our own money on.  

Yes, I did and my new car is VALUE FOR THE MONEY. It isn't some cheap substitute for value and then they try to convince you it is a trend or it's beautiful - that strap RUINS an otherwise gorgeous purse.

Just as a point of interest, you do know that most new cars lose up to 50% of their value the minute you drive them off the lot, don't you?  (We're not talking Ferrari or Lamborghini here, after all.)

Some of these designer handbags hold their value or even increase.

I don't collect expensive handbags, so for me it doesn't matter what they're made of, but for those who do, I say enjoy them!

@Venezia  I've heard $1,000.00 the minute you drive it off the lot.  Never heard 50%.  Case in point, we bought a vehicle in 2013, brand new.  This year it is only down 20% from purchase price and it's 3 years old, has 18,000 miles on it.

Trusted Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Value is  relative.  I get the same comments when I carry my LV handbag.  It's coated canvas, "you paid what"? , "it's not even leather".  I love that bag and carry it a lot.  No matter what you pay, if you get the use out of it and love it, then it was worth it for you.

The same goes for cars, you can get to point B from point A with a number of cars and more expensive does not always mean better, its what you like and whats a value to you. 

I drive a Ford Mustang but could drive a more expensive car, if I wanted, its all about personal preference, taste, what you can afford and what makes you happy.  Because something is not a value to me does not make it any less of a value to someone else.

Deb

@SFGIANTSGIRL  Good points.  I do believe higher priced items are that, because of the quality.  I'd purchase an expensive car before ever considering an expensive purse.  Certain brands I wouldn't pay a $1.00, other brands I'd pay whatever the cost.

My car is a 1989 white Firebird...still going strong. I have no interest in a new vehicle whatsoever. I have had other cars in my lifetime...all bought used...never new...a 69' Chevelle Malibou, a 1973 red/black top AMC Javelin and a 1981 black Firebird. I never paid over $8,999 for a car (the 1 yr old white Firebird bought in 1990), The other 3 were bought for between $1,200 and $2,500.

However, I do buy expensive handbags...90% of them for 30-40% off retail through the Q's 'as is', EBay or a terrific holiday sale.

@Susan Louise  Your vehicles have been bargains for sure, that's good.  For the record, I don't know where the underline and bold came from.  I don't know how to do that on here.  I only know how to make capital letters.  So, that came from someone else.??? 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

This thread has nothing to do with what people pay for a purse - who gives a hoot what you are willing to pay!!!! It is about the lack of value  in paying $500 for a purse that they could not even put a leather handle on. IT HAS A COTTON WEBBING STRAP. Seriously, don't you expect a leather handle on your $500 purse ? It is about getting or not getting value for your money.

No, I don't. You get the style or you don't. Smile as that! Everyone has different taste, style, and a different idea of what value means.  If you don't like it, that's your choice. Isn't that the happy point of choice in the marketplace? I don't, as a rule, buy the really expensive bags favored by my mother, but our tastes differ.  We certainly don't put each other down for our choices.

Respected Contributor

I have a serious question. I had time to sit and relax today after getting back into town from another sad nursing home visit with my dad and stepmother. Anyway, I have replied sensibly and honestly to some comments in this section. My question is why some people seem so angry about a handbag, a price point, or a strap? What am I missing here? 

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Deb

@Susan Louise  Your vehicles have been bargains for sure, that's good.  For the record, I don't know where the underline and bold came from.  I don't know how to do that on here.  I only know how to make capital letters.  So, that came from someone else.??? 

@3suwm5  I am the one who highlighted those points you made because that was what I was specifically refering/replying to Smiley Happy

As for them being 'bargains'...well, those were the going rates for those vehicles during the years I bought them. I don't know how old you are, but I am nearing 57 Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Deb

@3suwm5  I am the one who highlighted those points you made because that was what I was specifically refering/replying to Smiley Happy

As for them being 'bargains'...well, those were the going rates for those vehicles during the years I bought them. I don't know how old you are, but I am nearing 57 Smiley Happy

@Susan Louise  That's funny, shows how much I know about the extra gadgets on here.  I've got you by a few years, you're a youngster dear.Woman Happy