Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Obviously, there are people who would not only pay that price but think  it's a terrfic price.  If you want to see what designer bags go for, take a stroll though Neiman Marcus some time. 

@chrystaltree  It's all about the world of markup, reputation.  My DB works there, has for many years.  Everyone would be blown away to see the markups that go on.  That is not the only store that operates that way, either.

Honored Contributor

Every time this purse airs, a thread is started about that web strap, lol.

If you do a search, you'll see the same comments (not identical but along the same vein) in every thread about this topic. 

It's a matter of offering a choice; choose or don't choose. 

Honored Contributor

@3suwm5 They are just trying to start a fight - don't take the bait.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Absolutely insane

[ Edited ]

@3suwm5 wrote:

@makena wrote:

I would not call another person "insane" for their decision to purchase something.  We are all passionate about something.  Placing a name on a person for purchasing something you choose not to sounds like envy to me.

@makena  I believe the OP called the materials used on the handle of the bag, insane, as compared to $$ to purchase.  She didn't call anyone insane.

Then you missed the rude remark she made to another poster that has thankfully been deleted by the moderators.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@3suwm5 They are just trying to start a fight - don't take the bait.

@151949  Thanks for the headsup.  I did notice a few of the usual suspects.Smiley Wink

Have a great day!!Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

@3suwm5 wrote:

@makena wrote:

I would not call another person "insane" for their decision to purchase something.  We are all passionate about something.  Placing a name on a person for purchasing something you choose not to sounds like envy to me.

@makena  I believe the OP called the materials used on the handle of the bag, insane, as compared to $$ to purchase.  She didn't call anyone insane.

Then you missed the rude remark she made to another poster that has thankfully been deleted by the moderators.

@Venezia  I did see all the previous remarks last night.  I have seen much worse, in my opinion, in the rudeness category.  That comment has become a joke in my world, I hear it all the time.  Especially, since we are landlocked and wouldn't have any such land for anyone. ha

Respected Contributor

Re: Absolutely insane

[ Edited ]

@3suwm5 wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@151949 wrote:

$468 + tax & S&H for a purse with a strap made of cotton webbing.

It should cost more. The quality of the older and new Dooney florentine bags is amazing for the price. I have three if the newer Florentines. If you look at luxury bags, you see that these could cost three times that amount. Dooneys are a bargain in the handbag world.

@libbyannE  Maybe for some people's 'handbag world'.  Certainly not mine.  I would rather spend $$ on things that really interest me, like a plane trip to visit family for one.

Well, I'm lucky because we travel, too! But you missed other comments here from me and others that, to your excellent point, it's a matter of choosing to spend on what you enjoy! It isn't a competition but about sharing our joy in doing what we love and buying what works for us. My mother started me out on really good handbags and clothes, and you can never go back, I guess. It's all I have known.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@september wrote:

@151949 wrote:

$468 + tax & S&H for a purse with a strap made of cotton webbing.

Aren't you the same poster who has started several threads about how much you just paid for your new car?

some people might think that amount of money for a car is too much.  We are all adults and are capable of deciding what to spend our own money on.  

Yes, I did and my new car is VALUE FOR THE MONEY. It isn't some cheap substitute for value and then they try to convince you it is a trend or it's beautiful - that strap RUINS an otherwise gorgeous purse.

Just as a point of interest, you do know that most new cars lose up to 50% of their value the minute you drive them off the lot, don't you?  (We're not talking Ferrari or Lamborghini here, after all.)

Some of these designer handbags hold their value or even increase.

I don't collect expensive handbags, so for me it doesn't matter what they're made of, but for those who do, I say enjoy them!

Respected Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

@SFGIANTSGIRL wrote:

Value is  relative.  I get the same comments when I carry my LV handbag.  It's coated canvas, "you paid what"? , "it's not even leather".  I love that bag and carry it a lot.  No matter what you pay, if you get the use out of it and love it, then it was worth it for you.

The same goes for cars, you can get to point B from point A with a number of cars and more expensive does not always mean better, its what you like and whats a value to you. 

I drive a Ford Mustang but could drive a more expensive car, if I wanted, its all about personal preference, taste, what you can afford and what makes you happy.  Because something is not a value to me does not make it any less of a value to someone else.

Deb

@SFGIANTSGIRL  Good points.  I do believe higher priced items are that, because of the quality.  I'd purchase an expensive car before ever considering an expensive purse.  Certain brands I wouldn't pay a $1.00, other brands I'd pay whatever the cost.

I would get too bored with the same bag year after year, justifying my cost.

That's me.  Others may do the opposite.

@3suwm5

Now that I retired and don't carry a briefcase every day, I change handbags daily. To me, it's playful. Buying good handbags doesn't mean having only one. I have fun with my ever- changing collection! 

Esteemed Contributor

@3suwm5 wrote:

I've never paid that kind of money for a bag from anywhere and I never will.  To me, it's not worth it; unless the bag does all the paperwork I put in it.  I know many women that don't carry a bag at all.

I prefer to spend the $$ elsewhere.

I completely agree.  I thiink it is nuts to spend that kind of money on a purse, unless you are going to use the same one for years and years and years and never get tired of it.  But to each their own.  I am sure I spend money on other things that other women would think is nuts, although at the moment I can't think of anything ....

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead