Trusted Contributor

Re: ANYONE EVER ORDERED A USED BAG?

Hi  @BalletBabe 

I have bought pre-owned/used bags from places like poshmark.  Can you order it and return it, if it's not good?

This might sound funny-- but I have used sage smoke to clear the bag's previous owner's energy.  LOL.  

Respected Contributor

I'be sold used bags on ebay.  Mine were in the "worn a few times and put in the closet," Because I have a ton of bags, they don't get worn out really. The more battered ones I throw out. I don't worry about it. I don't smoke or have pets. I also don't believe in listing a used bag for close to retail.  People have gotten really greedy on Poshmark. I've sold items from time to time on ebay. If someone wasn't happy, I made it right. Most people were happy. I've had 100 percent feedback .

You do have to allow for the related fees. So if someone say's "I'd like that  Dooney bag for $25, probably not." Because the seller is paying fees to offer the item.  A lot of people aren't running a business, they're just lcearing out their closets. And that means that they have real-life responsibilities. They'll try their best at shipping quickly with good packaging.  I believe in stuffing and wrapping and padding. Not everybody does. If you're fussy about your packaging, it might not ve for you. I've receievd Coach bags stuffed in a padded envelope. I've  received totes crammed in Priority Mail boxes with no wrapping at all.  Probably best to look for someone that has an established history of selling on whatever platform. 

This is just my two cents after 20 years of doing this stuff. Good luck! 

Honored Contributor

@justashopper wrote:

Hi  @BalletBabe 

I have bought pre-owned/used bags from places like poshmark.  Can you order it and return it, if it's not good?

This might sound funny-- but I have used sage smoke to clear the bag's previous owner's energy.  LOL.  

as a reseller, you need to be sure you want the item.  it is not like a real store where you can do that.  unless it is defective or NAD not as described.  but I would be sure it is what you want before buying

I have a a couple of buyers regret cases and you can tell right away 

Esteemed Contributor

Handbags can get filthy from use! They are put on floors, shopping carts, conveyor belts, and handled often. Candy and gum can get stuck inside not to mention used tissues! 

I wouldn't buy a used one. But neither would I take my granddaughter to Goodwill to shop since we are in a pandemic.

I used a crossbody clear small bag for a credit card, etc at grocery stores, still do. I can wipe my cards and the vinyl bag with disinfectant wipes, I wipe grocery carts inside not just handles. Have you seen children riding in them and standing with shoes on ? I wipe everything! 
   👛 🎒 👜  🧼🧽

Esteemed Contributor

I have never done so, but am not completely opposed to the idea; particularly if it is a bag I strongly favor.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Super Contributor

I shop for vintage purses at local thrift boutiques all the time. Have gotten a number of fabulous Coach bags. They all were in great condition, clean and very nice. (I used to sell clothing, jewelry and books  on ebay and have bought handbags there too. Successful there as well.) Make sure you get dimensions, ask for an inside of bag picture. And make sure there is no flaking or damage around the area where the straps are. And most importantly get a good price. Make an offer if they allow it instead of paying full price. GOOD LUCK. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Everyone.   I will let you know what happens.  I did buy one last month that was brand new.  Dooney bag.  I love it!   If the company made them still , I would buy it new, but they don't.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have lots of packaging, and wrapping papers, boxes, etc., so I should probably put my extra handbags up for sale.  I have 2 that I only carried once or twice, and I have about 3 others that I possibly carried 3 times at the most.  

And I have never smoked, nor lived in the same house with any smoker, and I have been pet-free for over 9 years now.  My last doggie died in early 2012, so those should be nice selling points, too.

Thanks for all the tips here, I might try my luck!

Frequent Contributor

Once on eBay-never again. Package literally arrived from China and went into the trash. Yes to Poshmark where I also sell my items. I try to break even.

Honored Contributor

I would be a wary.  It has been my experience that "New Without Tags" is the first step in being "used."  It means it was at least taken for a test drive or two then rejected for some reason.  If someone is calling something "Used" it moves even further down the line.  That's not to say you can't get a good deal, but as others have stated, read the reviews on the seller to see if previous buyers have been satisfied with their purchases.