Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE EVER ORDERED A USED BAG?

E-bay has one that I want but I a having a hard time buying a used one?  Any thoughts?

Contributor

Re: ANYONE EVER ORDERED A USED BAG?

@BalletBabe  Check out the seller and see what type of rating they have with other buyers.  I have bought many used bags but not from ebay. 

Could you show a picture of the bag? I always look for worn parts on the handle. Or the bottom of the bag. Also, see if it is a smoke-free home. If that makes a difference to you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whether you get a good handbag depends on how careful you are as a buyer.

Look at the seller's rating first.  I prefer at least 99.5%.  Also, established sellers, but if I really like something and the seller only has 10 sales and a good rating, I'll go for it. Go to the page to read comments left by customers why they gave the seller a low rating. Click on the seller's rating to get to it. Sometimes, it's the customer, not the seller.  

Is the handbag an auction, Buy It Now, Make Offer, or an outright sale?  Check to see if the price is reasonable compared to its condition and what it cost new.  You can check on what this brand costs on the internet.

Read the seller's description of the handbag carefully.  If the seller doesn't have much of a description, contact this person with your questions.  Make sure you always reply using ebay. That way you have proof of contact with the seller in case you have to file a complaint with ebay.  

If this is one of those expensive designer handbags, be careful it is not a copy.  You can contact the company that made it with photos to verify it is real.  

I wanted to purchase a new handbag made by a company in Italy.  Emailed them with the ebay photos not sure they spoke English.  They emailed their reply in English and said it was real.  

Look at all the photos carefully for scuffs, wear on the bottom, handle, and around the top, rips, overall condition.  Make sure the zipper works if it has one.  Also, make sure there are photos of the interior.  If not, ask the seller to send you one.

Check to see if the seller accepts returns.  If not, you can return it anyway if the seller was not honest about its condition.  If the seller won't accept the return, ebay will give you a refund.

Check the cost for shipping.  Does it look too high?  Keep in mind some send two-day which costs more.  Also size of handbag.  Larger boxes cost more. 

Ebay sellers want you to be happy.  Many are selling to make money and depend on good ratings.  During the past 21 years, and close to 2,000 purchases, I only encountered 3 bad sellers when I began buying and didn't know what to look for.  Ebay does a good job weeding the bad ones out, but it still pays to be careful.  

Esteemed Contributor

@WomanInTheMoon @Foxxee   The seller has 100% ratings and a lot of sales.  The bag looks good even on inside.  They don't make it anymore so it is impossible to get a new one.   I think I will give it a try.  I noticed some sellers have that you can make a offer.  This one don't and she says no returns.   I think I will try.  Thanks for your inputs!  

Respected Contributor

@BalletBabe Funny you should post this as I am also looking at a used bag and never have bought one before. @Foxxee had some very good tips about buying used. Getting ready to place my order.

Esteemed Contributor

I would never buy anything that is used let alone a used bag .... that’s just me, I am “funny” that way. 😳

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

E-bay has one that I want but I a having a hard time buying a used one?  Any thoughts?

as a reseller, there are great sellers out there with wonderful things

check all the pictures, compare prices on all platforms

look at the store's feedback.  

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@WomanInTheMoon @Foxxee   The seller has 100% ratings and a lot of sales.  The bag looks good even on inside.  They don't make it anymore so it is impossible to get a new one.   I think I will give it a try.  I noticed some sellers have that you can make a offer.  This one don't and she says no returns.   I think I will try.  Thanks for your inputs!  

what brand bag?

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe 

I used to sell them (and also ordered some for me; Vera Bradley)

Also, don't forget, ebay has their own guarantee even if the seller doesn't accept returns.

This is good to know that ebay will protect you in case you get something defective (zipper/ink stain, etc)

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Foxxee 

While I have never used eBay to purchase anything, I have bought used handbags and tote bags for my iPad and it's accessories.

One automatic " put it back on shelf " is :  Smell.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill