Respected Contributor

what's your favorite fertilizer?

For all-purpose, I use chicken manure. Years ago when I was an acolyte of Cisco Morris, he used to praise alfalfa meal and it was ok but...for some reason I switched to chicken manure and it works a lot better...faster, I guess. When I used alfalfa meal it seemed like it took forever to have an effect. Not so with chicken manure; my plants come up sooner and stronger and just plain prettier (I grow mostly flowers).

For acid-loving plants, I use Viracid.

Respected Contributor

Re: what's your favorite fertilizer?

[ Edited ]

I add chicken manure to my 2 raised beds before I plant in the spring. Monthly I add fish emulsion fertilizer. I also use organic tomato fertilizer containing calcium to ward off blossom end rot ( still get it a little). My gardenis organic.

QVC Customer Care
Esteemed Contributor

For garden beds and shrubs/trees, hands down it is Espoma Plant Tone.  I have been using it since the early 1980s.  100% organic and really helps the tilth of the soil.

I also use my own compost and will occasionally add greensand (also Espoma label) but it is expensive.

For containers?  Hands down, fish emulsion, though I do supplement with the old Peters now Jack's Classic 20-20-20 and sometimes Miracle Gro for tomatoes (high in potash, good for geraniums but in general a nice change of "diet" for my plants).

I don't fertlize heavily.  Instead I let leaves fall and decompose and let clover grow in the lawn.  Some things i like to boost, however.  Just part of the enjoyable gardening rituals.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

For general purpose I like Milorganite. All organic and non burning. It’s a granular fertilizer that can be tossed around everywhere. Available at Lowes. Inexpensive and large bag lasts a long time. For container annuals I like Miracle Grow.
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @CJC -- I had totally forgotten about Milorganite.  Back when I had 1/4 acre of hostas, I spread Milorganite every spring.  It used to be difficult to find - maybe that's why I wanted it!   Then we moved and I had to shift to sun plants - and I got lazy - so I buy any 10-10-10 or 15-15-15 time-release granular that I can sprinkle on the soil surface.  

What I should do is get a soil kit and find out what my soil needs.  Laziness.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

10-10-10 is always good.....any brand. I used to buy an inexpensive brand called Rainbow maybe 5 years ago at a big feed store in SC. Tractor Supply might carry it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CJC wrote:
For general purpose I like Milorganite. All organic and non burning. It’s a granular fertilizer that can be tossed around everywhere. Available at Lowes. Inexpensive and large bag lasts a long time. For container annuals I like Miracle Grow.

Milorganite is also used as a deer repellent, so good on two fronts.  What's the good of fertilizer if it just creates more enticement for the large rodents called deer to decimate the garden?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

One year I actually made compost in one of those barrel type composter that you turn a few times a week---and my flowers/veggies were amazing----but it got too heavy for me to turn - so just got bagged compost.

Honored Contributor

I use Milorganite for the lawn & Espoma Plant Tone for the shrubs & perennials & their Rose Tone for the roses. Veggies get Plant Tone or composed manure (very heavy bag). 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼