Esteemed Contributor

Re: thanksgving/xmas cacti are budding and blooming now

@wagirl that's awesome. Having one that is 100 years old is so wonderful. I've never seen one with yellow flowers but I've heard about them.

I'll keep my eye out. I have a white one and a dark red one. they both have blooms on them and I'm so happy to see them getting ready to bloom.

I had to bring them inside because we had some freezing temps so now they are on the glassed in porch where they can get sun but not too cold.

Esteemed Contributor

Wow @Kachina624 that is spectacular! That's a great way to display it too. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl may I ask when you did the repotting? was it after they bloomed or at a particular time of the year?

Esteemed Contributor

These pics are beautiful! 

I have two.  One is probably 15 yrs old and the other one just last year.  The big one has 11 buds and the new one, only one so far.  It seems like the new one gets buds and then they dry up.  I keep it watered, too.  Some years the older one has just a few buds.

I don't know what I do wrong.  Maybe the older one is root bound.  I don't remember if I have ever re-potted it, altho I've read that they don't mind being somewhat root bound.  Maybe next summer I'll re-pot with some new soil.  I've read, too, to get a pot that is just one size larger.

Esteemed Contributor

@GinaV24 wrote:

@wagirl may I ask when you did the repotting? was it after they bloomed or at a particular time of the year?

I'd like to know that, too.

Honored Contributor

I repotted them in the summer time--none of them bloom that time of year for me. I mixed 1/2 cacti soil to 1/2 potting soil as per the people at my local nursery and used a clean pot that was one size larger than what they were in. Also I carefully rinsed off the old soil around the roots and trimmed  them  just a bit; put in a few shards of boken pottery for drainage. Mine were awfully dusty too,   took a soft brush to wipe them down.  I then found the perfect light in my house for them and I bet within a month, they looked perky and started growing new leaves and now i have so many buds!! I'd say that was about 2 years ago---also started watering them more often--about every 12 days or so-- that really helped--I got one of those moisture meters you stick in the dirt to let me know how dry/wet they are---seems to work

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love all the pictures!

I bought mine last year from the grocery store. I repotted it in succulant soil It lived on the patio this summer.  It tripled in size.

When I brought it in for the winter I put it in a dark room for a couple of months.  It's got huge blooms now. 

I pulled some branches off, to try to root. I found instructions on youtube.

I didn't know they lived so long.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I repotted them in the summer time--none of them bloom that time of year for me. I mixed 1/2 cacti soil to 1/2 potting soil as per the people at my local nursery and used a clean pot that was one size larger than what they were in. Also I carefully rinsed off the old soil around the roots and trimmed  them  just a bit; put in a few shards of boken pottery for drainage. Mine were awfully dusty too,   took a soft brush to wipe them down.  I then found the perfect light in my house for them and I bet within a month, they looked perky and started growing new leaves and now i have so many buds!! I'd say that was about 2 years ago---also started watering them more often--about every 12 days or so-- that really helped--I got one of those moisture meters you stick in the dirt to let me know how dry/wet they are---seems to work

@wagirl  Thanks for all the info.  I'm going to try all these things!

Respected Contributor

My two big ones are putting out buds for a second time.  I pinched the flowers back from the first bloom when they looked aged.  I didn't realize they would flower more than once.   I have a pale, pale pink one and a pretty rose colored one.  I have smaller plants in both colors and they have a few buds on them.   This is the first year they've bloomed for me.