Honored Contributor

thanksgving/xmas cacti are budding and blooming now

Am a sucker for these cacti--have one that is over 100 years old from my MILs  grandmother--it blooms too. Last summer I repotted them all in the right container size and put them in the right place  for light, water them more often and I'll be darned----the 2 newest ones, from about 2-3 years ago,  have so many buds and flowers now---one is a very soft pink and the other is yellow. the pink one   had over a hundred tiny buds on it---got it from a grocery store but it only  a few buds bloomed. the yellow one call-- limelight --only had a few flowers too, but now----WOW !!!! 

Honored Contributor

Re: thanksgving/xmas cacti are budding and blooming now

Visual search query image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Christmas Cactus Zygocactus Assorted Colors Live Plant image 1

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Mine too !!!

Honored Contributor

I thought this one was pretty impressive.  It's supposed to be over 50 years old. 

Screenshot_20211018-212505_Chrome.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My sister has one that belonged to our grandmother. Not sure how old it is, but it's up there in age. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 ---OMgosh!!!!! what a monster---I love it. I actually "cacti" sat for a friend of mine--they were moving and just couldn't find space--- theirs as it was just   as huge as this--had it for a few months when they came to pick it up-------just plain amazing--thanks for the pic!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

The picture you posted of the big cactus is very much like mine, which was started from the small cactus my farm grandma had in her bedroom when she died in 1969.   

The cactus was seriously root bound, and was repotted last year.  It took awhile for the plant to adjust, and I lost a bit of newer growth, but after moving it upstairs near a window, the plant has finally settled down and started growing again.    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop ---that's what I did too--a couple years ago I repotted the 5 I have right now-----even rinsed the roots of the old dirt, then got fresh new soil--1/2 cactus mix to 1/2 potting soil--got pots that were one size bigger than the old ones--and re planted them--even washed all the greenery as it was very dusty, put them in the apporiate light and I saw a huge change within a month-----tons more new growth, a few flowers bloomed then,  but over all so much healthier---I water more regularly now too--about every 10-12 days, now I have many buds. have  a couple that bloom near Xmas, a  few at Thanksgiving and even one that blooms at Easter and that one, half blooms at Xmas then the other half blooms at easter---- 

Respected Contributor

I noticed this morning mine are starting to get buds - yipee!