Honored Contributor

My lilies are blooming and they smell heavenly!! Only half of them made it this year as our spring and summer has been so awful with rain and cold temps (wa state) that the blulbs rotted. How do I put a photo on here to show them off? I have several more ordered for next spring. Would love to see and hear what your faves are. Maybe even recommend some for me to try.

Contributor

Re: stargazer liles in bloom

about 12 years ago purchased these lilies from qvc living in mississippi. really did well, then retired and moved back to ohio. dug them up, covered with peat moss, and they sat in garage until ready to be planted. last year we divided the bulbs and let me tell you, i have more lilies this summer that are amazing.really huge blooms. cant be more pleased.

Honored Contributor

They are my favorite flowers.  I often buy a bunch of them and put them in my kitchen.

I have them planted in the front of my house.  I never had the deer eat them.  However, for some reason this year the deer are eating them like crazy!

It never fails when at the store (as I'm picking them out) I see a young man buying some flowers....I turn and say, "Do you smell that?  That smell is coming from those Stargazer Lilies"?  Then many times they'll reach over and get a bouquet with some Stargazers in them!

Respected Contributor

Sadly, many of mine were just about to open and we had a day that was 114 degrees last week and they all scorched..Literally, scorched..never seen anthing like it- My tomato plants had flowered as well, and  they fried too, looks like someone crisped the leaveds in an oven...

Honored Contributor

@wagirl I have only posted one photo but all I did was do a copy and paste and it worked.  I am on a Mac if that helps.  I would love to see a photo!!

Honored Contributor

Mine are in bloom now too, and yes they have a very strong scent.  The garden is rather shaded - full of hosta, fern, heuchera, and other woodland plants - so I'm pleasantly surprised.  There was a problem in the Spring, when it was so wet, and the lily leaves started turning yellow from the top down.  I cut off the bad parts and that seemed to arrest the problem.

Honored Contributor

I have lots of buds still---the double lilies are blooming now. I cut a stem with about 6 flowers on it to take to my SIL. They are softly scented as she has an aversion to strong scents---will see if I can send some pics.This post is pretty old---I know alot more about lilies and have a ton more too. 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl  My lilies are so tall and each have at least six enormous flowers, the tree lily having the largest white flowers.  The deer got in earlier and ate the buds from about four plants, but I had plenty of plants left to produce flowers, and the scent is wonderful.  I have mostly yellow and white, one pink lily plant bloomed, still havn't see the salmon, so maybe that was eaten.

Honored Contributor

mousie---My lilies are taller than my 5'5" and I had to stake them up. No deer eating mine as they are in pots on my back deck. I planted some salmon colored ones too, and have some spectacular, huge yellow ones that are called Big Brother, that the blooms are as big as my head!!!! Just cut some double lilies that look like peonies that are nice. Have dark pink, stargrazers, and white ones too. Just LOVE them!!!

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

mousie---My lilies are taller than my 5'5" and I had to stake them up. No deer eating mine as they are in pots on my back deck. I planted some salmon colored ones too, and have some spectacular, huge yellow ones that are called Big Brother, that the blooms are as big as my head!!!! Just cut some double lilies that look like peonies that are nice. Have dark pink, stargrazers, and white ones too. Just LOVE them!!!

@wagirl  Mine are in pots also, meant to get them into the ground with wire baskets so the gophers don't have a feast, but didn't get it done.  They have tried to fall over, but I have them propped on other tall plants and tomato supports,  lol, and they are happy.  One panel of fencing had bent over enough so that a deer got in, only knew this when I saw the lily buds had been eaten as no rabbit could reach that high, lol.

The Big Brother seems to be like my tree lilies, massive blooms only white.  They take no care at all except for watering, that I can tell, two years I have had them.