Honored Contributor

I want/need to spray our back yard, there are tiny flying bugs that drive me nuts....we also have a dog.  Has anyone with a pet used a product that works but not harmful to the dog?

Respected Contributor

Yes, but I can't remember the name of it.  I threw the bottle away.  It's a bottle that you attach to your water hose and spray.  I bought it at Home Depot and it's right next to the bottle of Sevin insecticide that does the same thing.  In the Spring I get those little white flies that jump around and bite at my bare legs.  I spray once and they're gone overnight, until next Spring.

Honored Contributor

We have a neighbor about a  half mile away who raises honeybees so we are not allowed to spray here for insects.It's kinda a pain in the neck but I certainly understand the importance of preserving the bees. At least we have lots of bees to pollinate our flowers. We do have insect service from a pest co - if you don't in Florida you'll really be over run with ants, palmettos,roaches, wasps etc, however, they are not allowed to spray - can only use those little bulb puffers and are limited in what chemicals they can use. 

Honored Contributor

How about mixing water wirh tea tree oil and dawn dish soap to spray the yard...just a few drops of each in the sprayer.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  If you have garden store of some sort near you, hopefully you will find some natural maybe even organic products ie sprays to use on the bugs.

We've been inendated with white fly this year. We cannot brush against anything without a swarm of them getting in our faces, it is disgusting and I told DH that. He's sprayed 2 or 3 times now, they're heaavy here. I'm not seeing much results yet.

Not sure if this is your problem too or if you have other pests, even so, check out y our garden center(s) for something. We have a dog too, no prob.

Honored Contributor

I would get the insects ID'd before randomly spraying your yard with an insecticide. Capture one or two in a jar (try not to crush them) & bring to either your local extension for ID or a nursery with an information counter that can ID them.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Neem oil works on some bugs ,look it up and see if it would help your problem.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

We have used a simple mixture of water and dishsoap to kill insects. 

To help trap the flies in our yard we pick up a Fly bag at Family Farm for $5 it worked like a charm.  I could not believe all of the flies it captured.

Don't shoot the messenger on this one.  My husband sells chemicals and pesticides for a living.  He is often asked for recommendations on products that are pet friendly which he is able to provide.  What people tend to forget is that when we give our pets Flea preventative each year - we are essentially giving them the same chemical insectide which you are trying to avoid spraying in your yard.