Honored Contributor

Can anyone tell me why mine has buds but they are not blooming? It already went through a normal blooming cycle in Aug. But then formed a ton of buds that never bloomed and are now dying, turning brown.What should we do?

Honored Contributor

Mine isn't blooming either, my crepe myrtle also stopped.  I think it's just the end of the summer blooming season.  Days get shorter with not so much sun.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

See this article for some possible answers.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

My DH was going to prune it before we go home but it seems it needs to be done in the spring so I'll ask the campground to do it then. My DH waters the flowers daily soi it probably is unhappy with wet roots.

Honored Contributor

Rose of Sharon's bloom on new wood so spring time is best for pruning back.

Contributor

I have 4 of these with white blossoms.  They looked pretty ragged after winter so I trimmed 3 of them back.  I thought they were probably dead.  We had lots of rain in June and July, no rain in August, and over 90 degrees every day in September. I have never watered them and bump into them with the lawnmower way too often. They are all blooming like crazy.  They may do well with neglect/abuse or maybe trimming them back in the spring helped.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I am so glad you posted this question!  The past couple of years my bushes have not done well.  Last year tons of buds but NO blooms at all, very disappointing  This year I got some blooms then nothing.  It looks like there is a problem and I took a clipping to my local nursery and they said it just happens, its not diseased or a fungus.  I took this picture yesterday...

rose of sharon 9 13 15.JPG

Trusted Contributor

Just bumping up so one of our expert gardners here can see the picture I posted and hopefully tell me whats going on with my Rose of Sharon bushes...

Honored Contributor

@MrsCat21

Saw this link online as to some reasons why buds not opening:
http://landscaping.about.com/od/helpforbeginners/f/althea_blooming.htm